Skid Plate

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
Thanks man. Like I said I'm going to finish it tonight hopefully, cuz there's a honda meet out here on sunday and I want it on the car for the ride there. But I'll be sure to post some more pictures here when it's all bolted up. :thumbup:

JordanFleenor

Reaction score
Thanks man. Like I said I'm going to finish it tonight hopefully, cuz there's a honda meet out here on sunday and I want it on the car for the ride there. But I'll be sure to post some more pictures here when it's all bolted up. :thumbup:

Sounds good man! Post some pictures of your car too!

J30MAN

Reaction score
I'm currently working on one. I'm actually planning on finishing it tonight haha. New Orleans streets are TERRIBLE... and seeing as how my subframe is ~2" off the ground, I thought it would be a good idea. It's going to bolt to the subframe.

Here's what I have so far:

9hsa5u.jpg

I'm going to drill holes through the plate and the subframe, countersink the holes so that the bolts sit flush against the plate so that the heads dont get messed up (or as much) when it scrapes, and tap the holes in the subframe so that I don't need nuts on the backside of each bolt.

Are you going to cut a hole near the oil drain bolt?

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
Sounds good man! Post some pictures of your car too!

Will do, sir.

Are you going to cut a hole near the oil drain bolt?

Yea I might. I don't remember how far back the plate itself is going to sit and I can't picture the oil drain placement, in relation to where the plate stops, in my head at the moment, so I'm not sure I'll need one. But yea if the plate covers up the oil drain bolt, then I'll end up cutting a hole for it. I don't want to have to take the plate off every time I change the oil...

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
O and another thing I thought I would add, because I saw some other people talking about materials and weight issues...

I'm using a piece of 1/4" aluminum, only weighs about 5 lbs, and won't rust, so no need to paint it. I thought about steel but I knew it would be a lot heavier... And if street signs will work, then 1/4" aluminum will work just fine :coffee:

Last edited:

swollen_cu

Reaction score
I'm slammed in New Orleans and my car is fine. =P. Besides some scrapes and dings underneath. Lll

all.i.see

Reaction score
O and another thing I thought I would add, because I saw some other people talking about materials and weight issues...

I'm using a piece of 1/8" aluminum, only weighs about 5 lbs, and won't rust, so no need to paint it. I thought about steel but I knew it would be a lot heavier... And if street signs will work, then 1/8" aluminum will work just fine :coffee:

Plan on making a DIY?! or fabing up multiple cause Id love to make one for myself of buy it if the tools for making it aren't that accessible to me.

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
Plan on making a DIY?! or fabing up multiple cause Id love to make one for myself of buy it if the tools for making it aren't that accessible to me.

haha I could maybe do a DIY on it, although I wouldn't have a lot of helpful pictures because I had already started this project before I saw this thread.
It's not hard at all though... and tool wise, all you need is a screwdriver, an angle grinder with a cutoff disc, a drill, some c-clamps, a tap to thread the holes for the bolts, and a countersink drill bit to make the bolts sit flush with the plate. I got the aluminum sheet for free from one of my dad's customers who had it in his scrap stock and I bought the angle grinder from sears for $14 after a couple gift cards haha. So I mean total, I've only spent about $20-25 on this project :naughty:

I didn't get it finished tonight like I had originally hoped because the tap I was using to thread the holes actually broke... so I'm going to take a trip to Sears to buy a new one and finish threading the holes. I'll post some more pics tomorrow :thumbup:

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
Got it mounted today. Here's some pics!

Scrape!
2ujjqlj.jpg

Tapping the holes
2z7elfs.jpg

Countersink bit with countersink hole and regular hole, for comparison
15n3zpf.jpg

Plate ready to bolt up--I had to re-drill some of the holes because the original tap that I was using stripped a couple of the holes, so that's why there's a couple that are close together. I didn't go into overkill with the bolts haha
29kyuts.jpg

Plate bolted up
fepemo.jpg

Car back on the ground, plate mounted
dhfs08.jpg

And a couple pics of my car for JordanFleenor:
313matx.jpg

23ro5du.jpg

27zew49.jpg

Back