Skid Plate

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
I have a couple of suggestions when looking at the design. I like where this thread is heading though.

1.) I think having the edge rolled may add a bit of structural rigidity. Even though it looks thick enough to not move around I can imagine this flexing a bit from the air moving above and below it at highway speeds.

2.) I think having it sloped up towards the front of the car would be best, as if you were to hit anything that would damage it, it could bend the middle portion down, catching more and more debris, thus damaging it further, and possibly damaging your K-frame.

3.) Having a cutout for the oil drain plug.

Really small things, but they might make a great product in the end. :)

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
I'm thinking a diamond plate skid plate would look a little nicer. :lawl:

Like anyone is really looking under there.

Good thinking though, with the hole.

I think interest will pick up once people see the final product.

Thanks man =]

I have a couple of suggestions when looking at the design. I like where this thread is heading though.

1.) I think having the edge rolled may add a bit of structural rigidity. Even though it looks thick enough to not move around I can imagine this flexing a bit from the air moving above and below it at highway speeds.

2.) I think having it sloped up towards the front of the car would be best, as if you were to hit anything that would damage it, it could bend the middle portion down, catching more and more debris, thus damaging it further, and possibly damaging your K-frame.

3.) Having a cutout for the oil drain plug.

Really small things, but they might make a great product in the end. :)

In reference to #1 &2: the plate is pulled up a bit toward the front because of the shape of the frame and the location of my bolts. When I put the bolts in and tighten them, it pulls the front edge of the plate up a bit, slightly bending the plate. The corners get pulled up and the front edge gets pulled above the plastic valence that connects to the bumper, so I'm not really worried about it catching on anything because the valence is lower than the front edge of the plate--they kinda overlap like shingles on a roof. I've scraped a bunch of times since I installed it and I've been under the car to check on it while I was doing other work and it's performing exactly how I intended...

And yea I need to put a hole for the oil drain bolt. It'll happen in due time haha

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
Another advantage to having the rolled edge is that it'll reduce any cuts you may get when installing or removing the skid plate. I can see a straight cut piece of steel slicing fingers pretty easily.

Those are just a few things I would change. If you're happy with the design, that's cool.

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
Another advantage to having the rolled edge is that it'll reduce any cuts you may get when installing or removing the skid plate. I can see a straight cut piece of steel slicing fingers pretty easily.

Those are just a few things I would change. If you're happy with the design, that's cool.

Yea well I took a file to all the edges because I thought of the same thing, I didn't want to get cut up every time I handled the plate. Worked like a charm :thumbsup:

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
Do u think 1/8 would hold up?

I considered using 1/8" but I didn't think it would be as sturdy and I knew I wouldn't be able to counter bore the holes for the bolts to make the bolt heads sit flush with the plate. So I went with 1/4" just to be safe and allow for bolt hole counter boring. The plate only weighs about 5 lbs so it's not too heavy and it protects really well. I hit REALLY hard the other day and I checked everything out when I got home, couldn't even tell it had been hit haha I was pretty impressed...

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
did you drill those holes for the bolts or are those already in the subframe?

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
I drilled them. I held the plate to the subframe with c-clamps and drilled the holes in the plate and the subframe at the same time to ensure that they would line up

4door accord02

Reaction score
I know you probably have been busy . But once your final skidplate is complete.. I know many of us would appreciate your final blueprint ... : )

Back