So I'm going to Rockingham PDX event this Saturday.

ib042129

Reaction score
Which is great cause I have not done any auto sport events for like two years now.
Plus I have had lot's of upgrades to my car since the last time I went for AutoX
(Mainly suspension, breaks and new engine.)
I can't wait.

But I have a question for all those that go to racing events.
What do you adjust on your car before you go.
So what tire pressure do you run?
How do you adjust your coil over dampener rates?

I did not have adjustable suspension when I auto crossed before so I don't know
how to set it.
As far as tires, I think I was running 40psi front and like 43-45 back. (I could be wrong.)

Also, in terms of car mechanics what else do you think should I be looking our for?

Thanks.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
I think you should run some lower pressures actually... should increase traction.

finch13

Reaction score
Subtract like 5 psi from the tires max. rated pressure (so 40) when the tires heat up the air expands and increases the pressure, so don't run anything over 5 below max. But like knight said, you should run lower like 36-38

ib042129

Reaction score
I think you should run some lower pressures actually... should increase traction.

Well, so what I was taught. Is the way you figure out your pressure is.
You draw a line across your tire with chalk then you drive hard around the corners and the chalk will be erased where it comes in contact with the ground.

So you then set the pressure in the front tires to where the chalk only gets erased on the tread, and not past it. That is supposed to give you maximum traction.

Then you over inflate the back wheels so that they will have less traction than the front.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
I would think there's a better way to solving an understeer issue than overinflating your back tires so you have no traction. Do you have a stiff aftermarket rear sway bar? :eh: Idk, maybe it's just me but overinflating your tires doesn't seem like a "best-practice" solution. lol.

ib042129

Reaction score
I would think there's a better way to solving an understeer issue than overinflating your back tires so you have no traction. Do you have a stiff aftermarket rear sway bar? :eh: Idk, maybe it's just me but overinflating your tires doesn't seem like a "best-practice" solution. lol.

Well yes I have a good swaybar.

The adjustable dampener setting is supposed to help ma understeer as well.
I think I'm supposed to make the front dampener less stiff than the back.
So like back at 100% stiffness and front at 75%.

Tire pressure is supposed to be the simplest traction tuning one can do. And over inflating a bit is what people do.

mraw112

Reaction score
You should probably look into ss brake lines, or at least make sure yours are in good shape. brake lines braking at 100 mph= bad. An oil change before would not hurt. Id probably set the tire pressure to 35 psi.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Well, so what I was taught. Is the way you figure out your pressure is.
You draw a line across your tire with chalk then you drive hard around the corners and the chalk will be erased where it comes in contact with the ground.

So you then set the pressure in the front tires to where the chalk only gets erased on the tread, and not past it. That is supposed to give you maximum traction.

Then you over inflate the back wheels so that they will have less traction than the front.

That is correct.

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
35 would be great for pressure. I work on my friends racecar (dirt modified) and we usually set the pressures about two pounds lower than what they end up after a race. Obviously how much they grow is based on how much they grow. If you want more grip you are gonna go with lower pressure to get more tread in contact with the track. Vice/versa if youre tight in the turns.

ib042129

Reaction score
You should probably look into ss brake lines, or at least make sure yours are in good shape. brake lines braking at 100 mph= bad. An oil change before would not hurt. Id probably set the tire pressure to 35 psi.

I do have ss brake lines. (And fancy rotors and pads as well.)

I did an oil change not to long ago, so it should still be clean. I will
for sure do an oil change very soon after though.

Back