So I'm going to Rockingham PDX event this Saturday.

ib042129

Reaction score
35 would be great for pressure. I work on my friends racecar (dirt modified) and we usually set the pressures about two pounds lower than what they end up after a race. Obviously how much they grow is based on how much they grow. If you want more grip you are gonna go with lower pressure to get more tread in contact with the track. Vice/versa if youre tight in the turns.

But if your pressure is too low. The tire will roll on the side during the turn.
Bad for the sidewall, and bad for traction.

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
that shouldnt get you on the sidewall. i'm just trying to apply what i know from racing to street cars. dirt racing is all about finding grip. its just a suggestion. i'd think if you were down near 30 or 32 then you'd be on the sidewall but not 35 or a little higher considering how much the pressure will grow after you get the tires hot.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
but tires are all different and you can't apply the psi from a 16" wheel to an 18" wheel either, cuz tire stiffness and structure will be different. I'm sure he'll find the right pressure for his tires... lol.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
you might wanna at least say what tires your running....performance tires usually have stiffer sidewalls...making it so you don't need to bump up your pressure as much as you would on a non performance tire...

i don't see how you expect to get good help without giving us some info on your setup..

ib042129

Reaction score
Ok. To answer my own question (and to brag a little bit.),
I ran 37psi front and 39psi rear. My tires were 215/45/17 Yokohama S-Drive
And for shock absorbers 100% stiffness on rear and 71% on the front.
Street camber, so nothing special there.

I ended up getting a flat tire after the first round of driving, and had to go
buy a new one. Missed the second round because of it.

But after that maybe because of the new tire in the back or because I was driving faster, I finally got oversteer on the turns. My back would start to slide a bit if I did not have power through the turn. Which was nice cause you fix it by stepping on the gas and power though the turn.

The H22 ran great, but I did not use the power band all the time because the instructor told me not to break for a turn at very high RPMs so I had to shift up a bit early.

The only thing I was disappointed were the breaks. They worked fine, but they felt really soft. Which is weird because I have ss break lines, performance pads and rotors. I even bled the breaks at the event just to make sure. Could it be the stock proportioning valve?

Anyways, for those who don't know SCCA PDX is a driving school event where you drive with an instructor who is just a guy that has been doing this stuff a lot longer than you. And he is just paid with track time.
I was driving in Rockingham which is an old Nascar track. The course was 3/4 of the banked oval for high speed, and then it cut in for a fer lower speed turns inside the oval track. Going 90-100mph on the banked turn is freaking scary!

I don't have any action shots of my car, but here is the link
to flikr with some photos afterwards:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11194201@N03/sets/72157607303022502/

Latest posts

Back