Something interesting i read on acurazine

eggyhustles

Reaction score
I was talking to my builder who I used to work for. This guy has been doing this his whole life, owns his business, and sponsors many race cars.

We got into the TL for about an hour and I learned many interesting things.

For one I got to take a look at the trans disassembled. The third gear clutch pack is not undersized by any means. It has more than enough capacity for the TL and looks like it could support an extra 100hp easily. My builder agreed.

What he said causes the issues are the two pressure sensors going bad slowly. To make a long story short, they reduce line pressure and control shift timing in order to provide soft shifts. When one or both start to go, line pressure falls and third starts slipping. He recommended to replace both of these sensors at 50,000 mile intervals and says it will live a long and happy life if you do so.

Again, after looking at this trans first hand and especially it's frictions, there is nothing wrong with the holding capacity of the notorious third gear.

I know some accord folks who've had 3rd gear issues.

More

I had a '98 Accord (3rd car).. It ran very well until I let my family friends wife use it to commute.. long story.. anyways while they were driving it she noticed third holding / slipping. Took it to an old school Toyota tech.. he used a solvent to clean the valve body and replaced the pressure switches. I remember him telling me that he sees the pressure switches going out over regular intervals. It ran well after.

link
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10788059

thoughts?

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
i just went on ebay to find some new prussure swithches for my 02 se ...nothing... does anybody knw were to find new ones without goin to honda directly...or is oem the best way to go

i also had 3rd gear issues at one piont...185k same ol switches nvr knew bout them

F23A1AT

Reaction score
i just went on ebay to find some new prussure swithches for my 02 se ...nothing... does anybody knw were to find new ones without goin to honda directly...or is oem the best way to go

i also had 3rd gear issues at one piont...185k same ol switches nvr knew bout them

EBay is the worst place to get things like this, all they are is a bunch of Chinese knockoffs. OEM is the way to go regarding these parts.

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
^ok well ty... i am ordering a efi main relay from a dealership tomorrow so il add these to my list if they arnt to much

00accord91

Reaction score
my dads mechanic said the same thing except he jus called them sensors when i had him look at my last cg cuz it was also slipping everyday. i think you can see the sensors right on the trans in the engine bay right? at least i think i was looking at the right **** like i saw 2 of em sitting right next to eachother. nice find tho

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Keep in mind the 3G TL is a five speed auto, and the Accord is a four speed. Two completely different transmissions.....

Back