• No to this idea

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I feel that you know the risks involved when you deal with someone online. In fact, even craigslist encourages you to meet in person.

Agreed. But Craigslist was started mainly to hook up sellers and buyers who are local to one another (though they still offer the ability to search non-locally). But on this site we are spread all over the map, so it's not quite the same thing due to the inability of a lot of us not being able to meet in person. And sometimes the only way for someone in Ohio (like me lol), where there is not much of a car scene, to find an item they really need is to look to where there is a big car scene, i.e. California...and I will not be meeting that person face to face.

Yes it is true that you have to be smart when buying things from a complete stranger on the internet, there is no fail safe. But this situation with Hector is a perfect example...he is known by many members and has been around a long while. From what I understand he is a good member and a nice guy, and a trustworthy seller. But even now some people are having a hard time buying from him (due to whatever circumstances).

That's not an argument for anything, I'm simply saying we should be proactive and consider looking at new ways to help our members. Can't hurt. :)

Last edited:

GlassJAw

Reaction score
Another thing to remember is that Paypal usually sides with the buyer over the seller.... so it would be best to sell locally rather than inter country. (this may work inter state as well??)
I have heard plenty of horror stories of people using paypal to purchase items ex USA and having said items sent to say the UK (for arguements sakes)..... when the items arrive they leave it at the postal service (whom are awaiting customs duties) and say they didnt recieve it, then get a refund from paypal, go pay the customs duties and get the items for free basically.
(the seller gets stung with EBay fee's as well as having to refund Paypal)

I prefer to buy from local people and also ones with a good rep..... I'd say a seller rating system would be great!

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
what do we consider an expensive item bc the person buying might have to pay a good amount in ebay fees

maybe people should start using the buy seller review thread more often
Ebay fees are accrued in the way you set up your advertisement. Your charged a few cents for a title and maybe .50 cents for a picture. I sold a $400 item for .60 cents of there before. Anyone buying anything off ebay has no fees to pay, the seller pays a small fee amount.
uhhh what if you make an ebay page for a item and someone else that isn't part of the transaction buys it?

yes i agree with the new selling requirements

That is why I offered 6thgeners to list their item on here, and as soon as someone commits to buy on here. The seller can create the ad and the buyer can purchase the item(s) through eBay.

It is highly unlikely anyone will jump in there and buy your misc. item very quickly. Whoever is selling the item, is trying to make some cash. It's the buyers responsibility to act fast and buy the item before anyone else closes on the deal.

^ If you're a dumbass and you're not sure if you want to buy something or not then don't post anything.

Abdi, I think what you posted is a great idea, and I think it should be an available option, but not a necessity. Everyone here buys and sells at their own risk, and realize that to every preventative measure someone somewhere will find a way around it. I think strict enforcement of selling rules should be maintained continuously as well as the option that you proposed for insecure buyers/sellers.

Solution to all issues: Communication
The issue of someone else buying your item if it is on eBay can be circumvented by direct contact between buying and selling party, and quick transaction which is done within a few minutes and eBay/PayPal is the medium for it. Realize, that if someone is serious about buying and selling something, especially if it is of value >$100, it would be in their best interest to establish a personal contact with the other party to complete the transaction, and coordinate time from both parties' schedules to do this transaction officially. If done quickly in a coordinated fashion on eBay, other bidders will not be an issue.

I totally agree with this, maybe this should act as an option of potential buyers off here. This should be stickied under the for-sale rules or buyer beware section. I think with large transactions, it gives the buyer some security with their purchase through eBay.

Adding to the post count or anything will not necessarily fix or help the problem. Really the only way to prevent being scammed is to be a smart buyer. Make sure you can trust the buyer before you purchase something. Get their address, phone number, name, etc. So if there is a problem you have a way to get in contact with them.

In the end, the best way to prevent being scammed is to just be smart.

True, but we are proven more times than we want, even "trustworthy" people can flake.

With eBay as an option, you have no worries when it comes to large transactions. Then you have nobody complaining on here that they didnt get their item. They can simply file a complaint with eBay and receive most of their money back.

There isn't a lot of people on eBay who sell items and then not ship them. Ebay has all your personal information. eBay will refund you if the seller wont. They have ways of making the thieves pay for refunds or items not sent. Trust me.

Last edited:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
I like the idea of a trader rating system, but the ebay thing is a little too much in my opinion. Its your money that your spending so you should be responsible enough with it to make sure the person is trustworthy enough to give you the item you paid for, and make sure if something does happen you have a way to cover your back.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I like the idea of a trader rating system, but the ebay thing is a little too much in my opinion. Its your money that your spending so you should be responsible enough with it to make sure the person is trustworthy enough to give you the item you paid for, and make sure if something does happen you have a way to cover your back.

Yes, but how can you disagree about having a selling create a quick ebay ad if your buying an engine or cylinder head or something? Are you comfortable sending someone alot of money, even though you only know them off here?

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
if I was buying an engine or a cylinder head I wouldn't be buying it from someone over the internet at all. There's too many things that could be wrong with it so for me to not look at it before paying for it never be a good option for my anyway. I do understand when its things like rims and stuff like that though. I think its good for sellers to see this and know that if they are uncomfortable with spending that much over the internet without some sort of guarantee that the ebay thing would be an option. I don't think it should be a requirement though.

hope that all makes sense I just kinda rambled it on.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
if I was buying an engine or a cylinder head I wouldn't be buying it from someone over the internet at all. There's too many things that could be wrong with it so for me to not look at it before paying for it never be a good option for my anyway. I do understand when its things like rims and stuff like that though. I think its good for sellers to see this and know that if they are uncomfortable with spending that much over the internet without some sort of guarantee that the ebay thing would be an option. I don't think it should be a requirement though.

hope that all makes sense I just kinda rambled it on.

Yes, it makes good sense and I totally agree with you.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
just a couple quick thoughts...i'm literally standing up while typing :lawl:

1. paypal makes it ridiculously easy for the buyer to get their money back...sellers get screwed over in favor of the buyer. i've been refunded AND had the case closed before i sent the ****ty item back. i could have kept it.

2. your first dispute you file as a buyer...you generally win.

3. after (i want to say 2 or 3) disputes, ebay and paypal put your account on probation if its for the same reason...ie, item not shipped, wrong item delivered, etc. this is both as a buyer and seller.

4. fees. ebays fees went up 100-500% recently. they give you a cheap "insertion" ( :lawl: ) fee then they take a percentage of the final selling price.

5. shipping prices have gone UP across the board...be aware when you list the shipping service/price.

6. "no returns" is fake.

7. paypal can "hold your money for safe keeping" up to 21 days...randomly.

well i think that's enough for now. a seller from CL just did this for me the other day, since he said ebay would be safer. he sent me a text once the auction went up and i hit BIN. sure, i could have gotten screwed out of it but he could have cancelled the bid of another.

overall, i think its a good idea as long as BOTH parties realize ebay/paypal's game and how they can get played as a buyer OR seller.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
just a couple quick thoughts...i'm literally standing up while typing :lawl:

1. paypal makes it ridiculously easy for the buyer to get their money back...sellers get screwed over in favor of the buyer. i've been refunded AND had the case closed before i sent the ****ty item back. i could have kept it.

2. your first dispute you file as a buyer...you generally win.

3. after (i want to say 2 or 3) disputes, ebay and paypal put your account on probation if its for the same reason...ie, item not shipped, wrong item delivered, etc. this is both as a buyer and seller.

4. fees. ebays fees went up 100-500% recently. they give you a cheap "insertion" ( :lawl: ) fee then they take a percentage of the final selling price.

5. shipping prices have gone UP across the board...be aware when you list the shipping service/price.

6. "no returns" is fake.

7. paypal can "hold your money for safe keeping" up to 21 days...randomly.

well i think that's enough for now. a seller from CL just did this for me the other day, since he said ebay would be safer. he sent me a text once the auction went up and i hit BIN. sure, i could have gotten screwed out of it but he could have cancelled the bid of another.

overall, i think its a good idea as long as BOTH parties realize ebay/paypal's game and how they can get played as a buyer OR seller.

Thanks your your input. I totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back