Stuck in 2nd.

F23accordowner

Reaction score
Hey, so quick story. Driving along going into 3rd, and there is no gear ANYWHERE...lol. seseems like I'm stuck in 2ND gear. 1st is 2nd, 3rd is 2nd...you get the point. Shift linkage? If so how do I fix or is there something I can do to get home live 50 miles from work.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
look at transmission end of cables. What moves when you move shifter-end?

F23accordowner

Reaction score
Update! Played with shifter in cabin, and found out I have 2nd, 4th, and reverse. All the gears on back side of the shifter but, still don't have 1st,3rd,5th. I looked under hood and took a video of what moves and a picture will try to post that soon. In video I start by putting shifter in gear1, then 2, 3, 4, 5, rev.

james'99

Reaction score
Well, if you're up to it, you can at least get it home with those gears provided you can stay away from inclines. Will be awaiting the video... I can take a video of mine if that helps. I have class at 6:30 EST so just let me know.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
can't see there, but there are two cables, one is l&r, one is fw&bw

It is kinda odd that now you have all bw ones, usually a broken cable doesn't move it, kinda sound like something is stopping it.

L/R breaks you get 3 & 4, centers in middle, f & b you get none.

james'99

Reaction score
xci.ed6, that is my fully functional shifter. Not his. I was able to upload a video before he uploaded his.

F23accordowner

Reaction score
Thank you guys for posting. I'm driving home right now in 4th gear doing 55 miles an hour like I said I live 50 miles from work I will try and take a video if possible tomorrow afternoon after I get back from work because I have to work at 4 in the morning. I do see the shift lever move when I try to change gears but it doesn't look like the video you uploaded. Hopefully in the daylight I can try and get under the car to get a better look at it

Last edited:

F23accordowner

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24_3FUhPnPE&feature=youtu.beok video is uploading to you tube i took this afternoon on lunch hopefully it give a bit more insight as to whats going on with the shifter/selector. Both appear to be moving but it does not select 1st, 3rd, or 5th. In the video i "try to start where 1st is, then move to 2nd, and so on till i finally get to reverse. Once i get to reverse i put it back in 2nd and exit vehicle to turn off the camera. the click towards the end of the video is reverse being selected.

Last edited:
Back