sway bar end links effing blow

stanleybb50

Reaction score
Hey, if you're not done already, try to break off the plasic piece of the link (essentially at the other end of the bolt, theres a ball that goes into the rest of the link.

Break off the link that surrounds that ball, then hold it with a pipe wrench. Thats what I did. Might take some messin around to get the pipe wrench on there right, but trust me, it'll hold.

Hopefully that helps...

finch13

Reaction score
And yes... I think we all agree... they are definitely a pain in the a**!

Haha... if anyone has ever owned a 5th gen, the links are like slicing through warm butter.

I don't understand, if you don't have the money to replace the parts, why tackle the job? I don't think you can get original endlinks without some sort of demolition.

mraw112

Reaction score
Im not lowering my car. im putting the stock springs back on. and selling the lowering springs. I hate spending money and im a cheap bastard. I plan on getting them of today. just waiting for the car to cool down first.

C_S_L

Reaction score
When I was installing my springs on the rear, I also took off the sway bar link to get the shocks in and it was alot easier to step down without the link in the way. I sprayed alot of WD40 on it and it came out without a hitch.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Nate - To get the endlinks off, I'd get needlenose visegrips so you can grip between the rubber boot and mounting bracket of endlink. Then ratched on the outer bolt. This should help you get them off. It is hard to preserve original endlinks, as they are poorly designed. Please see post 18 in this thread: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20056&page=2

I hope this helps. I bought Moog endlinks, but since you are low on cash - I would be careful and try to salvage the OEM ones. In this picture you can see the outer bolt for the ratchet, and inner (rusted thing) bolt that needs to be gripped with vicegrips:

DSC00692.jpg

Be sure to use some PB-Blaster to loosen those things up, as WD-40 may not cut it.

Let me know how it goes and I hope this help you out. I had lots of trouble when replacing my endlinks as well due to the same problem you are having. The inner side needs to be clamped so the joint doesn't rotate in the plastic socket.

- Nikita

TeeJ

Reaction score
Can a dremel be used in there to cut off the bolt? I've never used one for cutting metal though...is it even possible?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Of course it's possible. Try it just get the right bit. It's really not that hard to just unbolt it though, even with serious rust. You just need to grip it properly.

Back