threw code P0420 bad cat

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
im rolling with a gutted cat right now. poor ozone. i plan on replacing it soon. however it does make my exhaust not more pronounced...:lawl:

finch13

Reaction score
How did you gut it?

I hooked my car up to the 5-gas analyzer at school for ****s and giggles the other day... just a hair above the limit with HC emissions, CO was a hair under. :lawl: Poor ozone? Poor people driving behind me!

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
popped it off, took a long steel bar and went to town on it :thumbup: WITH a dust mask on of course. that insides will apparently give you cancer if you inhale it...

so your saying you'd be close to passing emissions with no cat?!?!

finch13

Reaction score
Yeah... fairly close, although I don't know how much a cat reduces emissions. I was at ~450 PPM hydrocarbons, 220 used to be the limit when we had emissions testing in MN.

I want to gut mine too, but the bolts are way too rusty to get off easily. I thought mabe you had a really lazy way to go about it :lawl:

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
i took my car to a local shop and gave him $20 to throw it up on the lift and bang the bolts off for me. he just hand tightened some new ones on and i drove home with a REALLY loud leaky exhaust. jacked it up, popped the cat off and went for it! took all of 10 minutes once i got home.

finch13

Reaction score
Yeah I suppose. I haven't had my job long enough to work on my own car at work... still working on getting a key for weekend jobs. Hopefully this summer though...

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
if you have a torch at home you should be able to bang the bolts off no problem.

if they are realllly rusty, drench the bolts in Tabasco Sauce and leave em over night. the rust doesnt stand a chance. (seriously...) PLUS it smells good when you drive your car again and it gets burnt.

finch13

Reaction score
Yes, yes I know how to do it the backyard mechanics, I'd just prefer to do it on the lift at work

finch13

Reaction score
well i figured as much. just stop at a local shop on your way home and get them to take car of the bolts, or use Tabasco sauce. :driving:

why are you wanting to gut your cat anyway?

Why would I stop at the local shop? I'm a mechanic at the local shop!

The cat is useless as it is... why not gut it?

Back