Tire wear *Updated 12/12 w/ pics PAGE 2

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
My two front tires are wearing a bit differently than the rears. The small sipes on the outer edges (both inner/outer) of the fronts are a bit wavy, but nothing is happening anywhere else on the tire that looks odd. The rears are normal. I just got an alignment in June and the car rides/drives fine.

I did lower my front another 3/4" last week, but this was happening before that. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact my subframe was lowered 5/8" for my swap. Or maybe something else, like a bad bushing on a lower control arm?

FRONT (this is happening on both inner and outer edge sipes)

2011-09-14_14-03-52_944.jpg

REAR (what the fronts should look like)

2011-09-14_14-04-12_279.jpg

Last edited:

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Re: Tire wear

Under-flated tires chris? That is pretty messed up. Lowering the car more might have exasserbated the already prevalent tire wear. I hope there's a solution if it is due to your cars subframe being lowered.

Chechen your suspension components and make sure they're seated properly

almightyfargoth

Reaction score

are you uh..rubbing from too much give in the suspension? like do you notice that scrape sound once in a while during the dips in the road?

I know my friend's RSX wore through his front tires from the weight of the engine transfer after a year's worth of bumps in the road :lawl:

turbo_911

Reaction score

It's your shocks, I had the same thing on mine. What you can do it take it out and try to push it down and see how fast it goes up/down and how easy it was to push it down.

When I changed suspension, it all went away.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

I know it's not the shocks, they were new and just installed in March of this year. And I'm pretty confident I put everything back together correctly after I lowered it, but like I said nothing seemed to change from before/after. I wish I could remember if the front tires were doing this before the swap or not. I don't hear any sounds when going through dips in the road or hitting bumps. I sometimes hear a noise when I don't slow down enough for a speed bump and I hit it straight on, but I think that's normal...like a bump stop hitting or something.

I am going to take a closer look and see what feels loose or worn, etc. I have noticed the car does feel more wobbly than it should (I thought this was due to the front being higher than the rear at first, but it still seems wobbly after lowering the front, though it is better), so I am hoping something like a lower arm just needs replaced. Now that I think about it, I think the bushing between the lower arm and where it fastens to the spindle on the driver side was looking pretty worn/leaking, I'll start there.

Last edited:

turbo_911

Reaction score

Even if your shocks are new you still have to check them. Remember I posted a thread where one of my shocks failed after a month? Even if it is new, it could of came bad or faulty...

Millz

Reaction score

hed notice oil all over his stuff while inspecting the tire im sure

either way chris, how long did u take between alignments? im assuming you check your tires enough not to overlook the pressure as well

could it be an issue with the tires themselves being defective? how old are they?

when i took my car in to the alignment shop i frequent i had an issue with the tire itself not wearing like it should (not due to camber, under-inflation etc)

swollen_cu

Reaction score
Tire wear

Check the subframe bolts and make sure they're tight since you said you did space them to fit the j32a2.

Hopefully spacing the subframe didnt mess anything up.

turbo_911

Reaction score

hed notice oil all over his stuff while inspecting the tire im sure

either way chris, how long did u take between alignments? im assuming you check your tires enough not to overlook the pressure as well

could it be an issue with the tires themselves being defective? how old are they?

when i took my car in to the alignment shop i frequent i had an issue with the tire itself not wearing like it should (not due to camber, under-inflation etc)

Mine didn't have any oil leaking, it just didn't have enough of it (that's what I think) and when I took it out that's when I noticed the shaft goes in too easy when I press on it and goes up very slow. The other side didn't do that so I figured I had a bad shock with 50 miles on it.

That's just my though that it might be, since he checked everything else.

Back