tranny problem

yeding

Reaction score
Hi, all:
I have this 99 accord coupe LX with 125000miles on it. I got this car about 5 monthes ago and didnt drive much. I just noticed that my tranny acting weird, whenever I slow down for a stop or a turn (but not completely stop), and slowly accelerate after that, I feel like lost power for less than a second and everything back normal after that. I'm worried about this tranny, is it the typical symptom of a toasted accord tranny. other than that, it shift fine (a little bit harsh but kinda expected from an old car). Is there anything I can do to prolong my tranny's life? thx

SeanXtec

Reaction score
You could try installing a transmission cooler, it could prolong the life of your trans...that is, if it isn't already on its way out.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You could try installing a transmission cooler, it could prolong the life of your trans...that is, if it isn't already on its way out.

The radiator does perfectly fine to cool your tranny.

There is another guy on here who installed a remote transmission filter. It looks like an oil filter that allows your ATF fluid to travel in and out the filter. Sense your tranny doesnt have a filter you might want to do that. There is a drain bolt on the side of ur tranny, its square. The end of the bolt has a magnet that catches some of the metal particles in your atf fluid.U can take it off with just a ratchet, forgot the size.

You can do a drain and fill, do not allow any shop to use a machine. At this point there is probably too much debris that you dont want to stir up all at once. I did a drain and fill 3 times, had the same symptoms as you. Lasted me a year like this until I finally had to change it out.

Last edited:

yeding

Reaction score
The radiator does perfectly fine to cool your tranny.

There is another guy on here who installed a remote transmission filter. It looks like an oil filter that allows your ATF fluid to travel in and out the filter. Sense your tranny doesnt have a filter you might want to do that. There is a drain bolt on the side of ur tranny, its square. The end of the bolt has a magnet that catches some of the metal particles in your atf fluid.U can take it off with just a ratchet, forgot the size.

You can do a drain and fill, do not allow any shop to use a machine. At this point there is probably too much debris that you dont want to stir up all at once. I did a drain and fill 3 times, had the same symptoms as you. Lasted me a year like this until I finally had to change it out.

Thx. You mean ur tranny only lasted one year since it had the above symptoms? damn, that gonna hurt! So it indeed IS the typical symptoms of a toasted tranny?

cajun

Reaction score
The thing you described above - slow down ALMOST to a stop, give it a little gas and feel a lag for less than a second - no, that isn't a symptom of a toasted trans.

Since the previous owner may have never changed the ATF or may have put non-Honda ATF in it, you should do three drain/refills (no flush). Only use Honda ATF. That might help with the hard shifts, or your trans may be starting its death spiral.

yeding

Reaction score
Hey, Cajun:
thx for the information. The previous owner changed ATF regularly, at least he said so. But u r right, he did not use honda Z1, just DexII. BTW, go Saints.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Thx. You mean ur tranny only lasted one year since it had the above symptoms? damn, that gonna hurt! So it indeed IS the typical symptoms of a toasted tranny?

cajun doesn't know what the hell hes talking about. yes when you slow down from going 30mph+ to a 10mph roll the car seems to delay shifting back to first gear. Hence, the loss of power because your in a higher gear at a very slow speed. That's a rare symptom. Usually your car will sometimes shift hard into second or 3rd gear. Mine was pretty smooth, but sometimes it would jerk into gear. My automatic transmission started having symptoms at around 104,000 miles. I used it until it had 111,874 miles. One of the seals between the axle and the tranny worked itself loose from the added vibration and started leaking ATF. I would have never have known, unless i checked under my car one day and saw a small puddle. I probably could have drove another 5,000 or so miles on it gingerly but i didn't want to take a risk. So as of now i am almost done doing my 5 speed swap. I just have a few little bugs to work out but everything is 90% done.

What you need to do is drain and fill your tranny fluid. You can only drain 3 qrts of fluid at a time but there is 9qrts in your tranny. So in order to cycle all your fluid you have to do it 3 times 3x3=9qrts.

Park your car on an even surface and allow it to cool completely. Probably over night. AS ATF gets hot, it expands, so draining and filling your tranny while its hot will be hard to measure fluid levels.

When your car is hot your fluid level should should be on the top line on your dip stick. When its cold you should only see the fluid reach the bottom of the little dip stick.

Drain your fluid and fill 3qrts ONLY. and no more. after your done drive your car around let it warm up. Check your fluid to make sure its at the line.

Do this 3 times in 50mile intervals and your fluid should be pink. I wish I could give you pictures but i don't have an auto anymore. If your a complete noob then search this forum for a DIY ATF drain and fill. Its pretty easy. I did it in about 30 min.

cajun

Reaction score
cajun doesn't know what the hell hes talking about.

WTF? Do you want to tell me what I said that was wrong? The first symptom the OP described is not a sign of the trans going bad. You then go on about how to drain/refill, which is what I suggested.

If you had ever actually done a drain/refill or bothered to look up the number you'd know that you get 2.7 qts out of the pan, not 3. Hopefully nobody reads your shyte info and overfills their trans.

cajun

Reaction score
Hey, Cajun:
thx for the information. The previous owner changed ATF regularly, at least he said so. But u r right, he did not use honda Z1, just DexII. BTW, go Saints.

I'd get that Dex out of there. Geaux Saints.

Back