Trans problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

klee

Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord said:
You know the tranny will slip some when its cold, thats why they advise that you not floor it until your car has warmed up some. But nevertheless, if its slipping that bad, replace it or rebuild it.

For $1500 you could go manual or swap in another auto, its your choice at that point.

I have to agree with this point. The ATF hasn't had a chance to warm up. Also, I'm curious how many of you on this thread change out your ATF fluid like a religion? I do mine about every third oil change. My tranny is smooth as heck and I have 131K miles on the clock. Change the ATF, it's cheap insurance in the long run.

Twobit

Reaction score
well, this will be a couple hundred more but I'd say swap in a nice H22a with the complete tranny and stuff. H22 with tranny I believe is about 2000, or alittle over, not sure how much swap is but check it out.

HandoEX

Reaction score
I'm not a tranny expert by any means but when the tranny has never slipped, warm or cold, and then suddenly begins to slip, there has to be some sort of problem with the tranny.

I've changed my tranny fluid with Honda Z1 twice a year...spring and fall. I agree that this is the best insurance policy for a transmission, but with the failure rate of autos in our cars, no 6th gen auto tranny owners should feel safe, IMO :(

NINaudio

Reaction score
My cars a '98. The extended warranty just ended last June. Honda is actually willing to cover half the cost of the trans, but none of the labor, which is where they'll kill me. The $1400 quote is actually from Honda. I asked the service manager about any engine mods before I had anything done and they said bolt-ons wouldn't have any effect on the warranty, otherwise I would have waited til it was over, just in case.

$2800!!!! I'd just put it towards a newer car at that point.....hell if I knew this was gonna happen when I had the timing belt and water pump done 3 months ago I would have just got something new then. Hell, I've had POS american cars with more mileage on them that have never had a trans fail on me......and I got the Honda because it should be more reliable than those....grumble grumble.....lol

I saw your thread Hando, but unfortunately, $2k is out of my budget right now unless I sell a kidney on the black market! I'd much rather eat a monthly payment then a $2000 outlay.

I change my atf fluid yearly and yes I know not to floor the car as soon as I turn it on......

I'm bringing it to a repair shop for them to check it out on Monday, will see what the owner there says. I've heard a lot of good things about him, so I'm hoping he'll be able to do something. Sorry I'm rambling on and on I'm just annoyed at this whole issue and the timing of it (when I have no money!!!)

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Personally, I'd try for a auto/manual swap.
Who's to say the rebuilt tranny won't go again?
I've just replaced the clutch in my car for $275/labor and $240 for the Stage I clutch. When he took out the tranny, It looked as if was new. Still had that new silver color :D

PS,
That's complete BULL about the SRI putting stress on the tranny.
That's like saying a brake upgrade would be the cause of a motor seizing.
One has absolutely nothing to do with the other

Good luck with the trannys guys

NINaudio

Reaction score
I'm waiting on the final price from Honda before I make my final decision.....$1500 or less and I'll do it. $1500-2000 and I'll think about it, 2k+ and I'll be looking for a new car......

Twobit

Reaction score
This is what happened to mine along with other problems. As much as I like 6th gens the maintenance is NOT worth it. Screw A/T's I hate them, even in the 2000 lexus I got, they're soooo damn annoying, Im tryin to find aoldschool 325e bmw and pimp that **** out. Thats definition of pimp. Lowridin bmw

NINaudio

Reaction score
lol.....as of now I don't have any plans to buy another auto, no matter how much traffic I might have to sit in every day!

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
NINaudio said:
2k+ and I'll be looking for a new car......

I call dibs on ALL of his audio stuff in the car

Not that I'm jinxing you or anything, but...well you know.
You have some nice quality stuff you probably won't ever use again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back