transmission or mounts?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
OEM mounts, check rockauto.com, or there are a few online Honda OEM parts vendors.

You can also look in to doing the upgrade of your OEM mounts with various DIY's.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Don't cheap out on mounts, theyr'e too important. OEM, Beck Arnley, etc. The above suggestions are great.

Or if you want stiffer mounts you could go with Innovative mounts.

ejreams

Reaction score
Open your hood, grab a friend or a camera and have them watch the engine for play while you rev it with the e brake on.

Or if you want stiffer mounts you could go with Innovative mounts.
Or if this is what you're wanting consider filling the side mounts with poly, can you do that to a rear mount? Probably not?

TheHunter

Reaction score
Definitely have someone shift it from park to drive to reverse to drive while you look at the engine first. That's way easier to check than the transmission. I would suggest the red innovative mounts. They've got a lifetime guarantee, where as the OEM mounts have a lifetime guarantee that they'll fail.

cl206

Reaction score
Guys - You ALWAYS check the easiest stuff first.

Pop the hood, jack it up, inspect all of the mounts to see if the rubber is cracked or if the one mount (not sure which) has oil leaking out of it. If all of them check out fine, then move onto the transmission.

Yeah I agree with this. Because the OP might not know what he is talking and actually might just need the mounts replaced lol. I got mine from Tim from Acura of peoria and they were like 190ish total shipped.

You should really do a test like the others have mentioned and see if it is this. $200 is much cheaper than the tranny alternative.

I did the DIY for the front and side engine mounts. Pretty straightfoward if you need to go that route. Mine didn't have the jerk you were talking about but I did see excessive movement.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
To check for engine mount failure try the following;
Get a friend, Pop the hood, start the car and have your friend put the car into reverse, then drive at idle. The engine will move, but not significantly... unless the mounts have failed.

With the passenger side mount, look for an oil stain on the frame rail right next to the mount.

For the front and rear mounts, there is a vacuum line attached to a small black box (solenoid valve) on the left suspension mound. With a tool like a mighty vac, try and pull a vacuum on the line. No vacuum = failure. LINK to some pictures showing testing of each mount individually to find the culprit.

The transmission mounts can be seen thru the left wheel bay. Turn the wheel or jack up the car and remove the wheel. 2 small mounts, there are probably torn off.

Fixing the rear mount is a pain. LINK to me installing the rear mount and a show and tell on how the mount works - it's not just rubber.

cl206

Reaction score
To check for engine mount failure try the following;
Get a friend, Pop the hood, start the car and have your friend put the car into reverse, then drive at idle. The engine will move, but not significantly... unless the mounts have failed.

With the passenger side mount, look for an oil stain on the frame rail right next to the mount.

For the front and rear mounts, there is a vacuum line attached to a small black box (solenoid valve) on the left suspension mound. With a tool like a mighty vac, try and pull a vacuum on the line. No vacuum = failure. LINK to some pictures showing testing of each mount individually to find the culprit.

The transmission mounts can be seen thru the left wheel bay. Turn the wheel or jack up the car and remove the wheel. 2 small mounts, there are probably torn off.

Fixing the rear mount is a pain. LINK to me installing the rear mount and a show and tell on how the mount works - it's not just rubber.

When I did the front, I removed the mount bracket to the engine. Is that the same for the rear? I have the same exact car as you and I might do that MUCH later in the future lol

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Yes, when removing the rear mount, you have to take the mount arm off first. There is a lot of stuff in the way and it's quite cramped if you only have ramps. Have to work from above and below and the rear bank on the V6, hoses etc don't help.

The Link starts in the middle of the process. I didn't start taking pictures early because I didn't think it would be that hard. But at the half way point, i figured I had better do that!!

I looked at a Camry at the same time as the Honda when buying it new. Decided against it because of the oil filter position (over the front mount). Since then my son married a girl who owns an Avalon. They took the V6 in that and rotated it backwards so you can't even get to the spark plugs. Makes the honda look like a dream to maintain

Back