Turbocharging questions and double checking info

Jevik

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has convinced me to add a turbo to my car instead of H swap.

Another guy at work is parting out a couple 95-99 eclipse GSX's so I talked to him about the turbo system. He's willing to sell every part on the car, so I asked about the turbo, lines, injectors, side mount intercooler etc..

So my questions are as follows, yes I've googled but not too much has come up, specific to my goal.

The T25 is a quick spooling, small turbo designed for smaller engines? So am I going to run into any major issues in the top end/ is it going to fall on it's face before 6400 rpm with a JDM F23A? I'm COMPLETELY lost when it comes to determining which AR, trim, size, etc. I would need. I plan to run about 7-9psi.

He's also got a AEM FIC6 which he used on one of his eclipses. I know nothing about tuning so would it be more cost effective to F/IC tune or dish out the extra for the megaquirt or AEM EMS and street tune? Googled this and found miata forums. I would imagine the basics are the same, so it looks somewhat like Megasquirt would be good enough for my goals. I've heard piggyback tunes can somewhat change or it's not as precise due to ECU relearning, so is that something that's going to blow a motor with my planned boost level? If so that'll definitely send me toward the standalone route.

With 9 psi, will I need to upgrade the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator? I couldn't find the lph rating for the 98-02 EX i4. If I did need to upgrade I'm sure it'll cause stock ECU to run very rich for emissions if I used a standalone. Is that correct?

Goals: none really. any whp over 180 would make me very happy lol. But I'd like to maintain drive-ability and reliability.

Darn I started typing this out and more questions just popped in.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Forget the PSI.
Start with your power goals, what are those? I know you say something around 180 but that wouldn't even be cost effective. Like why spend the money to get the setup to run and only go for 30 more whp? And the T25 is honestly tiny tiny.

You will need bigger injectors and a fuel pump. Virtually nothing except the turbo would be ideal for you from the eclipse.

Jevik

Reaction score
My power goal is around 200-230 @ wheels.

When I said 180 that was @ wheels, which would be about 50-55hp gain, considering age of my current motor and drivetrain loss.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Do you mean to say 200-230 crank and 180 wheel? :lawl:

How many miles on your motor? Assuming manual Trans? If not than you need to swap first. Well, you don't need to but you should.

Jevik

Reaction score
Bah humbug, kinda upping the goal slightly. Although I would be happy with 180 @ wheels, 200-230 would be better because as of now I've got roughly 130 @ wheels lol.

The goal really is to have noticeably snappier acceleration, with plenty of room to grow in the future when parts start getting upgraded.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Okay. Now that the goals are set. Progress can go ahead.

You do have a manual correct? And what's the mileage?

Jevik

Reaction score
yes manual, 185k miles. Turbo will be installed on a JDM F23A with 35-50k from JDM Star Motors. I'm choosing them because they are local, so no shipping cost or wait time and can inspect engine in person

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Are you planning on using your existing Trans? Or going with say an H series one with the lower gearing for quicker acceleration?

Back