USDM Accord Type R "ode to ATR" 56K warning

Which Engine would you choose given unlimited funds?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Jan 2004, from a Honda Dealership in Fairbanks Ak, I got this 01 ex sedan....

Well I have had this car since 2004, and been through A LOT of changes. I won’t overload you with the pics of the various stages of the build but you can see it in the gallery or on my site at cardomain.com. The car as of 2013, is inspired by the Accord Type R exclusively sold overseas. Yeah the Euro R is closer to ours but after the coupe conversion I knew the Type R was going to be my muse. If the Euro conversion was doable...without destroying the front end, I would have done that first. I like taking nothing and making something so most of the customization on this car is DIY so I literally built this Type R look alike by hand. Before you start flaming....ask your self this question..."Did he really try and make a USDM ATR from scratch?" I've been a member for a while, researching diy's looking at "sakura" and other's rides. waiting for when my accord could be looked at on a list. I don't expect every one to like the idea of a bootleg type R accord or expect all positive comments. Just happy my work is on my favorite forum.

Engine / Performance:
-F23A1 VTEC for now...weighing options: (H22, prelude H23, JDM Accord wagon F20B JDM Accord SIR)
-Header 4-2-1
-Cold Air intake, spectre filter

Suspension:
-Coil overs I got from ebay, lowered more up front.
- Yeah I need to drop it more in the rear....full time dad 1st, car guy 2nd.

Interior / ICE:
-Pioneer Dual Bluetooth head unit
-Sony Explode speaker swap (front doors, and rears ones)
-Driver seat aftermarket heater/massager
-Type R seat covers front and rear (ebay)
-DIY rewrapped door inserts and new carpet
-Plasti Dip interior (removed that darker tan)
-Modded cluster with silver bezel, DIY VTEC logo in the TACH

Cosmetic:
-17 inch Koning Tanturm rims (need tires now) 15 inch Stock painted white
-DIY Blackhoused headlights with LED DLRs and tinted corners
-DIY center caps
-DIY painted valve cover, oil catch, etc.
-Accord Type R decals
-Type R Badges
-8000k HID Kit

Future stuff:
-Lip kit (maybe)
-Civic Si Spoiler (98 accord spoiler if the Civic one doesn’t fit)
- Side markers
-Switchblade Key mod and then H22 Swap (the heart of any Type R)….Unless I find a shop not scared to boost down here in Macon Georgia.

Pictures:

Narftastic

Reaction score
Wow ummmm this looks sad... interior work is complete shit and a perfect example what should not be done to a car. Way to much type r badges in a car that's not even close to a type r. Sorry if I'm being to harsh but damn this is rediculous!

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
Not feeling what you got going on inside player. But exterior looks ok if you get that hood sorted out.

Last edited:

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
Alright, I'll say this...

It's nice that you appreciate the Accord Type R, and your car's exterior looks fine (ignoring the badges of course). The interior is a trainwreck, but if you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

One thing that boggles my mind is that if you appreciate the Type R so much, why would you do this to your car when you know it's a terrible example of anything that comes close to resembling a Type R? Not one item on your car is genuine JDM Accord-R, so in a way you're insulting the very car you idolize. I truly hope you can improve your car in the future, using better quality parts...and maybe create a better version of a USDM Accord that is similar to a JDM Accord.

You don't need to use "Type R" crap on your car to make it cool, or JDM parts to make it cool. If you're going to modify it, do it tastefully...please. I've seen dozens of USDM Accords that are head and shoulders better than any Accord Type R you may admire, and I promise you they didn't go down this route with their cars.

Don't want to discourage you, but hopefully you take this criticism constructively and make the modded Accord community proud of your work later on in the future (not that it really matters). Good luck...

Back