V-tec,idling, and oil pressure prob

Kyleelder

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and can't find any clear answers. I have a 02 4 cylinder w/Vtec and 5 speed. My car is throwing a P1259 code for V-tec malfunction. My car won't go past 4k and when i push in the clutch the rpms drop way to low and the car shudders before it idles out.while idling it feels a little rough.

My car has plenty of oil.checked resistance and continuity on the solenoid and oil pressure switch, they were within spec from the manual.I haven't pulled off the screen to clean it because i can't figure out how to get to the bottom bolt of the pressure valve without taking a ton of other stuff off. Would this screen cause the low idle everytime i press the clutch tho? Also if I reset the light and floor it i have some power from 1-3k then almost none from 3-5k and tons from 5k-redline. Then today I was driving and the oil light started flashing rapidly i shut it down.then restarted a hour or so later and it was fine.

I'm lost at this point. Hopefully someone can help

iHazSnail

Reaction score
check your oil if its low and also check your water temp

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Change the oil. See if the cat is clogged. Both of which should've been fairly easy to find w/ the search feature. I KNOW someone just posted up about not being able to rev to 4k. And putting the CEL code brings up a ton of threads.

f23accord2000

Reaction score
nope to me that sounds like the vtec selanoid replace it my friend had that code also and replaced it now its all better

Kyleelder

Reaction score
Oil is new and synthetic, cat is 2 months old. My temp gauge seems normal.I did search and saw the threads but saw nothing about the low idle like I have so I thought it might be something different. The thread your talking about is about an 02 sensor.I'm throwing no o2 codes, just the vtec malfunction

hotaccord243

Reaction score
i would say something about the vtec solenoid, take it off and clean the filter with a brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Check the oil level, there's v-tec problems when the oil is low, and trust me our cars and honda's in general are notorious for burning oil in general, my oil pressure gauge is reading crazy, prob because it burnt some oil off (and i need an oil change lol).

Start with this, and if that does not work, ohm out the solenoid and make sure it is working correctly if not replace it!

Kyleelder

Reaction score
Yea.....in the first post I said how I checked the oil and resistance on the solenoid as well as the harness voltage and whatnot. I'm thinking maybe the plunger could be sticking. I can't figure out how to get to the screen however, without taking everything else off first.

PSYCO G 305

Reaction score
clean the screen for the VTEC. that could be causing the oil pressure light to blink. as fort the rough idle it could be time to replace the coil.

Kyleelder

Reaction score
Well the car got so it wouldn't stay running, kept dying if I didn't hold the gas.And now won't start at all. Had it towed and apparently the ignition control module and coil went out. Still waiting on word of the VTEC stuff.....I guess that can be expected of a car with 164k miles tho.

Back