VSS replaced but still no MPH marked

sg_81

Reaction score
So my VSS was going out because it worked when it wanted so i decided to buy a new one and get it fixed. I installed it today and took it for a drive to test it and nothing still. Could i have messed up something when installing it? I mean its pretty simple to do. Any ideas on what could it be. Please help.

james'99

Reaction score
So my VSS was going out because it worked when it wanted so i decided to buy a new one and get it fixed. I installed it today and took it for a drive to test it and nothing still. Could i have messed up something when installing it? I mean its pretty simple to do. Any ideas on what could it be. Please help.

Do you have a P0500 code? Also, do you have a scan tool that reads MPH?

Unfortunately, we have another member here with the issue that can't seem to figure it out, Jordan.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Don't even get me started on this issue.... Lol.

But like he said. Find an a scan tool that provides miles per hour. If it displays the speed then its problem between cluster and vss. If it doesn't display on that, then it's between Ecu and vss. Are any fuses blown?

sg_81

Reaction score
Checked all the fuses and they are working fine. Funny thing i just was outside checking all the fuses so i decided to start the car and the MPH needle started bouncing up and down and the car wasnt even moving. Maybe wiring issue? Unfortunately i dont have a scanner.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Checked all the fuses and they are working fine. Funny thing i just was outside checking all the fuses so i decided to start the car and the MPH needle started bouncing up and down and the car wasnt even moving. Maybe wiring issue? Unfortunately i dont have a scanner.

I'm going to say you're probably looking at a wiring issue. Do you have a multimeter?

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Put the front on jackstands. You're going to need a friend. Basically you're going to put the car in gear and have the wheels spin. While that is happening you can test the wiring for the vss.

sg_81

Reaction score
Put the front on jackstands. You're going to need a friend. Basically you're going to put the car in gear and have the wheels spin. While that is happening you can test the wiring for the vss.

What wires or spots will i be checking. Sorry need more details. I appreciate the help bro.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, there are 3 wires coming off the vss plug. colors should be black, red, and yellow? Ground, hot, and constant I think? Someone else will probably chime in.

sg_81

Reaction score
Update: Drove to work and all of a sudden MPH needle starts jumping up and down. After that it settled down and the MPH started to work fine. I would like to pinpoint the cause of the problem so i can fix it.

Back