VSS replaced but still no MPH marked

james'99

Reaction score
Update: Drove to work and all of a sudden MPH needle starts jumping up and down. After that it settled down and the MPH started to work fine. I would like to pinpoint the cause of the problem so i can fix it.

Well, now that its working, its hard to point you in the right direction. One thing I can say was the car counting miles properly when the speedo wasn't working? If it was, the wiring in your speedo is off and the VSS is fine.

sg_81

Reaction score
Well, now that its working, its hard to point you in the right direction. One thing I can say was the car counting miles properly when the speedo wasn't working? If it was, the wiring in your speedo is off and the VSS is fine.

It started acting up again yesterday as i drove home. Miles weren't being counted when it wasn't working. I went to Autozone and bought
download.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After that it started to work again but i noticed that MPH was way off. It read 40 when i was actually going like 25. Now what?

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
It started acting up again yesterday as i drove home. Miles weren't being counted when it wasn't working. I went to Autozone and bought
download.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After that it started to work again but i noticed that MPH was way off. It read 40 when i was actually going like 25. Now what?

Can you warranty the unit out just to make sure?

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Same thing was happening to me. A wire to the vss is messed up somewhere. I cannot help you pin point it. To be honest with you, I haven't even fixed my car yet. It started out with that simple issue and more happened. Now it's sat for 6 months. That's just lack of me trying to fix. I can't really help you fix it, but I can tell you what doesn't work.

sg_81

Reaction score
Can you warranty the unit out just to make sure?

Are you referring to the VSS sensor or cluster?

I was planning to just replace the speedometer portion of the cluster since i think from all the bouncing up and down the needle did it prob threw it off. There's other things i want to test before i do that but i wanted to get input before i did it. Maybe someone has had a solution to this problem.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Don't waste money on that. I promise that is probably not your issue. If you can borrow a cluster from someone to try out, I would recommend that.

sg_81

Reaction score
Don't waste money on that. I promise that is probably not your issue. If you can borrow a cluster from someone to try out, I would recommend that.

Will a cluster from a 2000 accord work? or does it have to be the same yr, model and it has to be a cluster for a manual right?

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Will a cluster from a 2000 accord work? or does it have to be the same yr, model and it has to be a cluster for a manual right?

I think 98-00 go together and 01-02 go together. Manual can use an auto cluster but idk if auto can use a manual cluster. Idk if v6 can use I4 or if I4 can use v6.

james'99

Reaction score
I think 98-00 go together and 01-02 go together. Manual can use an auto cluster but idk if auto can use a manual cluster. Idk if v6 can use I4 or if I4 can use v6.

I think you can use any cluster as long as it is 98-02 4 cylinder. V6 has some more differences. If you use the wrong year cluster, the only thing that is gonna happen is temporarily you wont have a coolant temp sensor.

Back