VTEC Didn't Kick In

joshism

Reaction score
ObamaVTEC.jpg

accord786

Reaction score
same **** here i got a check engine light with sum code and it said (vtec malfunction)??now thats the first time i got that code is this normal??help me out to guys

:poke:

jer510

Reaction score
same **** here i got a check engine light with sum code and it said (vtec malfunction)??now thats the first time i got that code is this normal??help me out to guys

:poke:

did your check engine light come on right away or did your vtec not work for a while before it came on?

accord786

Reaction score
The check engine light came on right away and the vtec just stoped working it didnt go to high rpm it would just freeze..but now it drives fine because i erased the code

jer510

Reaction score
The check engine light came on right away and the vtec just stoped working it didnt go to high rpm it would just freeze..but now it drives fine because i erased the code

my vtec used to always kick in everytime i put 3/4 throttle on the pedal. now it kicks in sometimes. I'm not sure why? Could it be that I'm not applying that much pressure on the pedal? I don't have a check engine light.

xluben

Reaction score
Back on topic. YES, you will get a CEL if VTEC does not engage. I had a recurring CEL (if I cleared it, it would be gone for days or weeks). When scanned I got this code:

P1259

VTEC system malfunction

In my case it turned out that I had low oil levels. Changed the oil and topped it off and it was back to running perfectly.

My question is how you know the VTEC is not engaging? I installed a VTEC indicator light, so it was quite obvious. When the CEL came on the VTEC would not even attempt to engage, and my fuel cut off would kick in at 4k RPM's.

If you're not getting a CEL, I kind of doubt it's a VTEC issue. On my car VTEC will kick in VERY easily under heavy throttle. Around 2.5k and up, 1/2 throttle or more will kick it on. But you can NOT feel it engage at all. The only way I know is the light!

Back