What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the 2 paint coatings I am offering:

DSC_1805 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Description borrowed from autogeek:

CQuartz by CarPro is a anti-static, weather-resistant nano coating that shines and protects your vehicle like nothing else! CQuartz works on the molecular level to transform the surface. Once treated with CQuartz, your vehicle will repel water and contaminants, and it will maintain a clear, reflective, hard-as-nails shine. One application can last two years!

CQuartz provides:

Ultra hard coating. CQuartz contains ceramic nano particles, which create an extremely hard finish that is scratch-resistant and durable. The average thickness of Cquartz layer is between 0.7 µm ~1.5 µm.

Weather-resistance. CQuartz provides durable protection against rain, sun, salt, and anything else Mother Nature throws at it. The anti-corrosive coating holds up in all weather conditions.

High gloss shine. CQuartz contains nano fiber glass, resulting in a deep, reflective shine.

Water and oil proof finish. CQuartz provides incomparably strong water and oil repellency. This hydrophobic effect prevents water spots and oily stains from attaching to the paintwork.

Smooth, dirt repellent surface. CQuartz's nano particles fill in tiny swirls and imperfections in the paint to make it perfectly smooth. Therefore, dirt and dirty water cannot settle into any crevices. The finish is also resistant to bugs, UV rays, acids, and salts. Plus, the slick surface is anti-static and washes off easily.

Anti Calcium Effect. CQuartz prevents mineral deposits from bonding to the vehicle's surface so water spots can be wiped off.

Detergent-resistant protection.
CQuartz cannot be removed by water, alkaline or other detergents, or by pressure washers. It lasts up to two years!

Self-cleaning effect
. Most dirt and debris will not stick in the first place so you may find yourself washing your vehicle much less often.

DSC_1966 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my hands full with this one.....

2012 Subaru Impreza Sti

Paint correction and wheels off package

Paint coating for paint and wheels

Headlight coating

Window coating

Interior as well for fabric coating and leather coating

DSC_2064 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
How to remove overspray from clear coated paint?

The car I am working on have been repainted before and there was a tremendous amount of overspray on the paint and windows. Below are couple methods off my head on how to remove overspray.

Method 1: Using paint thinner

Do not ever let this dwell for longer than 10-15 secs when working it. Wipe it up immediately. Do not use on freshly painted parts, do not use on trim, do not use on matte stripes, or headlights and other non painted plastic parts.

DSC_2110 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DSC_2196 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DSC_2198 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DSC_2197 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Method 2: ClayBar

Depending on severity on the overspray, you can choose to use a fine grit or harsher grit claybar. In this case, I had to use a harsher grit claybar after a test spot with a finer one. Regardless of which one you use, expect to polish the area because the process will inevitably cause scratches.

DSC_2126 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DSC_2204 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Method 3: Machine Polishing

You have the option to do it by hand, but it will take longer. I went over the paint with a compound. After, it left a haze and required a follow up with a polish to refine the paint.

DSC_2205 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DSC_2207 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DSC_2211 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Importance of using multiple lighting source to spot defects

At the moment I am using 2 types of lighting sources to spot defects.Halogen and LED. One is not better than the other when it comes to spotting defects. When working on white or light colored cars I prefer using halogen versus LED. The white LED bulbs washes out some of the defects and in turn I cannot spot the defects as well. For black or dark colored cars I prefer using LED bulbs. Couple pictures below for comparison.

Halogen

DSC_2186 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

LED

DSC_2188 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Back