What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Chris, I'm always learning and trying to improve in all areas I feel I'm lacking. I have developed thick skin and I do not take people's wording the wrong way. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I am okay with that. I also learned you won't be able to please everyone, and I'm okay with that as well. But, I will always put in the effort, time, and energy to do my best with all aspects of my life.

:thumbsup:

And I'm with Jon, if you were closer I'd love to have you detail my car, it's swirl city. Definitely agree there are a lot of hacks out there.

Also, if any of you get any service done on your car done at a used car dealership, stop immediately. Just a public service announcement.

When I clicked on 'public service announcement' in your post, it brought me to an Amazon listing for this decal:

81ztMdzlxuL._SL1500_.jpg

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
work looks great lemon. i'd have you detail mine if you were closer.

to go along with chris' comment, Arial Narrow seems to be the preferred font now a days. Times new roman is considered to be dated.

thx Jon. :thumbsup:

Well Lem, I just got a job as a detailer at a local used car dealership. And our stuff isnt near as great as you are doing. Probably if people starting using separate brushes for the paint and wheels. I did sand the letters off an old police Crown Vic today.

Hopefully this help me get some skills and experience. That way I can mess up on a older car, so its not that bad.

Also, if any of you get any service done on your car done at a used car dealership, stop immediately. Just a public service announcement.

Evan, congrats on landing the job. One thing you will learn from working at dealerships and used car lots is that overtime you will know how to differentiate which process works for you. Not everything you will learn is right or wrong. It is a good starting point if you intend to enter the detailing industry. You will understand the basic concepts on cleaning a car, and once your experience and knowledge improves to a certain point everything becomes a streamline process.

Another advantage would be to able to learn about the business side of things. Understanding why they spend an X amount of time only on each individual car. How much would someone typically spend on a detail and what type of services are used mostly in order to maximize profit margins.

You might get an opportunity to be a team leader in your department and learn to lead and micromanage employees. These are all skillsets that are valuable no matter which job you end up with later on. These are just some of the skills I have learned while working at the body shop I still currently work for. Gl with your job, and it's going to be tough since it's a fast paced production shop.

Looking at all of these posts makes me sad since I live on a dirt road and my old man decides it's a great idea to jack my car and drive 40mph when it rains outside coating my car in mud.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That's sounds like a perfect opportunity to spend some time with your old man washing the car together and educating him with some tips.

:thumbsup:

And I'm with Jon, if you were closer I'd love to have you detail my car, it's swirl city. Definitely agree there are a lot of hacks out there.

thx Chris. :thumbsup:

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Hey Lem, so I got a Meguiars drill attachment buffer for Christmas. Are there any pads you would recommend for getting rid of swirls, scratches, etc. Are polishes better in your opinion than others?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Lem, so I got a Meguiars drill attachment buffer for Christmas. Are there any pads you would recommend for getting rid of swirls, scratches, etc. Are polishes better in your opinion than others?

I did a brief glance at the description of it and found out it utilizes 4 inch pads. For pad selection, specifically for the Meguiars drill attachment buffer you have 3 pads available which are:

the burgundy one is the compounding pad
the white pad is for polishing
the black pad is for waxing

Can you tell me which pads you got?

To answer your question regarding which polish is better than one or another is mostly subjective/depending on different variables. But mostly, the main difference between one or another is the amount of cut the polish offers, is it user friendly to wipe off, how long can you work the product before it starts dusting, and a few other variables.

Can you also tell me what compounds, polish you currently have? I can hook you up with some samples to try out.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I did a brief glance at the description of it and found out it utilizes 4 inch pads. For pad selection, specifically for the Meguiars drill attachment buffer you have 3 pads available which are:

the burgundy one is the compounding pad

the white pad is for polishing

the black pad is for waxing

Can you tell me which pads you got?

To answer your question regarding which polish is better than one or another is mostly subjective/depending on different variables. But mostly, the main difference between one or another is the amount of cut the polish offers, is it user friendly to wipe off, how long can you work the product before it starts dusting, and a few other variables.

Can you also tell me what compounds, polish you currently have? I can hook you up with some samples to try out.

I've just got the base pad, which I assume is a waxing pad. Its yellow. I've got quite a few compounds, mostly Meg's products. What samples do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just got the base pad, which I assume is a waxing pad. Its yellow. I've got quite a few compounds, mostly Meg's products. What samples do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you got the black pad? Can you name the compounds and polish? Meg is a good brand.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
So you got the black pad? Can you name the compounds and polish? Meg is a good brand.

Ive got a yellow pad. It just came with the kit. Ive got Meg's NXT Wax 2.0, Meg's Ultimate Compound, Swirl Remover, Plasti-X, Liquid Wax. I think I may have a bit more, but I'd have to check in the morning.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got a yellow pad. It just came with the kit. Ive got Meg's NXT Wax 2.0, Meg's Ultimate Compound, Swirl Remover, Plasti-X, Liquid Wax. I think I may have a bit more, but I'd have to check in the morning.

I believe you have the polishing pad then. If you want to stick with your Meg attachment machine then you will need to buy extra pads because one is not enough. But before you do that, do a test spot with Meg ulti compound with the pad and see how much paint correction can you achieve. If it yields 80-90% correction and you're satisfied with that then you can choose to only purchase extra yellow pads.

If it did not come out that good then purchase one pair of each pads. If you can find these locally then what would be great.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-compound-power-pads.html

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-polishing-power-pads.html

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I believe you have the polishing pad then. If you want to stick with your Meg attachment machine then you will need to buy extra pads because one is not enough. But before you do that, do a test spot with Meg ulti compound with the pad and see how much paint correction can you achieve. If it yields 80-90% correction and you're satisfied with that then you can choose to only purchase extra yellow pads.

If it did not come out that good then purchase one pair of each pads. If you can find these locally then what would be great.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-compound-power-pads.html

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-polishing-power-pads.html

Thanks for the advice man. I'll have to do that here soon while it's in storage

Back