what's so bad about european car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

accordy

Reaction score
i know even though this is a honda site...but i'm curious...what's so bad about VW???...i was planning to get a 2001 GTi....

jcanni

Reaction score
i am biased. but, i think they are great cars. what motor are you getting? 1.8t or the vr6? the 1.8t with a GT turbo or if you turbo the vr6 will be a monster. As for maintenance well it is a little bit more expensive. the parts are more expensive. mainly because of the falling dollar. if you can wrench it makes it more affordable. you have to use synthetic oil etc. as for electrical problems. I havent had any really. just blowing a sensor every once in a while. not a big deal. make sure the car you get is well maintained. it definitely will show in the maintenance bill.

cajun

Reaction score
Poor reliability if you believe all the pro reviewers. Everyone I've known who owns a Euro car complains about reliability and the high cost to repair, but...they love the hell out of their cars.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
mk4 vw's are horrible cars. SO many electrical issues. i have nothing wrong with owning a vw, but id never own a mk4 based off of friends' experiences and such. i had a mk5 gti, and i loved it.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i just cant make myself own a german car. its small things like window motors dying, to random abs lights that would piss me off to no end.

i get madder over little things that go wrong constantly, than big things that need replacement (maintenance).

only vw i could own would be a mk1-2...that gets stripped bare and everything redone from the wiring to the paint. but i dont have that kind of time/space/money so honda it is.

atarikid07

Reaction score
My second car is a 1995 base Jetta. So far, it has about 105k on it and has injection, electrical, etc problems on it... Now, there's about $3k or $4k in repairs to do. I plan on using it a couple years down the line as a project to learn more about cars in general and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back