My J32/6 speed quest!

Styx2015

Reaction score
UPDATE:
So I've finally decided to go with the J35A4 rotating assembly with J32A2 pistons and heads on my J35A4 block. My parts order should be in tomorrow with bearings, rings, gaskets, flex-hone, and engine assembly lube, and I can start the build process.

Another question: Since the crank and rods are different and matched up to different pistons, will I need to get the rotating assembly balanced? Also, with the J32A2 pistons in the J35A4 block, should I have a machine shop fit-bore the block to the cylinders, or will the flex-hone be alright? I checked inside diameters of the engine block to check for ovality, and everything is within limits.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to AEM's site, their J-series ECU will only work on manual transmission cars with a formerly automatic engine and harness. Yet another way in which you're seemingly punished for doing the swap the "right way".

I'm in this same boat myself right now. I have two '03 CL Type-S 6-speed cars right now. I bought both of them through Copart auctions. I'll be fixing the body damage of one with parts from the other and I'll be taking the engine/transmission from the donor to put into a friend's CG2. Both will continue to be true manual setups and both will hopefully be heavily modified. I'd like to run AEM, but so far I haven't seen anyone else do it without converting to all automatic equipment.

Don't mean to threadjack, but apparently this company has modded the AEM EMS to work on manual transmission j32a2 engines.

Dezod Motorsports AEM EMS Standalone Engine Management System-CL Type S 01-03 6 Speed

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. This makes the 3.5L swap much more feasible.

It also makes tuning a boosted J32A2/6MT much much more feasible, without having to rely on any additional modules. 300whp on 6psi of supercharged boost looks very encouraging :)

Styx2015

Reaction score
I know it's been a while, but here's an UPDATE!

Working on finishing up the engine and transmission rebuild process. The donor car has been taken by the local fire department and used for jaws of life training and car fire response training. May she rest in peace. I've been extremely busy lately, so the project has been on the back burner while I continue to acquire parts, knowledge, and extra space in the shop. I'm working on getting all of my parts orders in and hoping to finish my engine and transmission work next weekend. This is a long process when you do all the work yourself....

Anyways, I had some questions for you guys: For those who have gone with different engine mounts, do you prefer innovative mounts or OEM? Also as far as clutches go, is an Exedy OEM-Style HCK1007 Replacement Clutch a good option for a daily driver? And finally, does anyone have an Odyssey alternator for sale?

Thanks again guys for all the help!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^At first I wished I had gone with OEM mounts, the softest polymounts Innovative had (60A) vibrated too much for my liking and I regretted it. But then after talking to Eric (changaroo) he told me they have a break-in period...he was right. They're pretty easy to live with daily, but I wouldn't want to go stiffer. The vibration is subtle but you feel it, but it's only at idle. With the A/C on it is a little worse, but still that's only at idle. I rarely use my AC though.

I went with a new Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit, no complaints. Just depends on what type of feel you want. I'd start with the Exedy personally, then switch it up if you want the next time around. I'm happy with mine, but I don't track the car or beat on it though so if you are going to autocross or anything you might want to read up on that. For daily and spirited driving it's fine imo. I wouldn't mind a lighter flywheel though.

Styx2015

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the tips. I still have the OEM Acura CL-S mounts. I know I need to replace at least the passenger side, and the rest aren't in the best of shape. Innovative 60A's for the CL-S 6 speed engine brackets are cheaper than doing a full set of new OEM mounts, at least for Acura. Although, I do have both the manual and automatic engine brackets. Maybe I could look into different combinations there to make it cheaper. Any idea if the CL-S 6 speed mounts have the same bolt pattern as what is on the CG2 subframe? That's one thing I have not been able to figure out.

I don't plan on any heavy autocrossing. I may do an event once in a while just to get a little lead foot out of the way, but the majority will be daily/spirited driving. I just wasn't sure if I should do the Exedy kit or leave the clutch that was in there originally. Seemed to be alright, but I figured since I have it all apart now, I might as well replace it.

Back