Not what I set out to do, but nevertheless...

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
I really like the wheels...actually saw them on a TL today and thought they were pretty sick

av6_sm1ke

Reaction score
Car looks good mang. Would look even better lower :)

I gotta say though, those pics could have been better ;) Not because of the lack of light or location though. Composition and depth go a long way in photography. For example, in a lot of your pics, the subject (your car) is not taking up enough of the picture space. Even though we know your car is the subject, its so small that it doesn't pop out like it's supposed to.

Depth is a little harder to achieve with a point and shoot/camera phone. As an example, take your first pic. If the foreground (first sign and the grass in front of it) was a little blurry, and your car remained sharp, it would put a lot more focus on the car.

I'm taking a photography course right now, so I couldn't help but point that stuff out :p

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^This is why I hesitated to post these. I completely agree though.

Problem was I didn't have enough time. I was on a public road, listening for cars coming around the bend so I could run back to mine and move it if I had to, which was a little dangerous really, and running to different points of interest and trying to get the whole road in the photo...all before any cars came. So I didn't have time to really plan and tweak my shots, but I desperately wanted to at least snap what I could while I was there because I love the road.

The good thing about my point n shoot camera (Sony H3) is that it can take full HD photos, so I'm wondering if I zoom in on some of the shots I may be able to have the subject take up more of the dead space. Composition is alright for taking a photo in seconds, but if I really had the time to frame everything how I wanted, they would have come out so much better. I even had my tripod with me but couldn't use it in that situation.

And yeah I messed with the soft background function, but again time was a factor. Which is why I tried to let everyone know these were not what they were meant to be, and why I didn't use these to update my ride page. But yeah, hopefully the next time out I can get what I want. Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate hearing it. :)

kn0x47

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about focal depth at all sense you just have a point and shoot. even if you did have a fancy camera to take that first pic and that street sign was blurry, it still takes up too much space in the picture and it draws a person's eye to it instead of the car.

personally I dont think your distance from the car is all that bad sense you're trying to show off the S bend (tho being closer to the car wouldnt hurt either). The issue is the angle of the car - you're showing too much of just the front or rear, you need to be able to see a lot more of the side. that would make your car look bigger and take up more space in the picture while still showing the road. I'd also recommend angling your car in the road instead of it looking like you were driving and just stopped. either angle it in the middle of the road or just in your lane.

That third pic i think is a good angle of the road, the car's just sitting in the wrong spot. if it was driven a little farther forward and angled more to the left or right with the wheels turned itd look better. just my opinion tho...

The last 4 pics i think are fine. The one of just the front of your car and the honda on the wall works cause the viewer gets a sense of symmetry. that crz just throws it off a bit.

I've thought about taking pics on the road before but was worried about traffic. I'd recommend trying to get a friend to go with you. have them drop you off on the side of the road and then come back and tell them where to stop the car. Then they can duck, you take some pics, and then yell at them to start driving again when a car comes. I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on getting my gf to help me do that sometime cause i know a few spots I'd like to take pics on the road.

You could try looking at mine or Raymond's flickr accounts to get a sense of angles to take pics from. Raymond shoots with a wide angle lens which helps his look better than everyone else's. I wanna get a wide angle lens eventually but I just don't have $600 lay around haha.

...just trying to help. next time you take pics can you take one directly from the side of the car, showing the whole car? i'm still wanting to see how that roof spoiler flows with the rest of the car

av6_sm1ke

Reaction score
I still think you did well with the limitations you had. Can't wait to see how your pictures turn out in ideal conditions. :beer:

The Sony H3 was one of the higher end point-and-shoot cameras of its time. I had a chance to play with Sony's entire camera line-up when I was working there 2 years ago, but I never had a chance to use it to its full potential.

Back