Help! Transmission Help!

maximus017

Reaction score
As of late, I have been noticing my car shifting very hard into reverse. I usually park my car on my driveway, and reverse back out to get out. When I shift into reverse, the car shifts very hard....but after I have driven for a lil while, and shift into reverse, the car shifts fine. no odd jerks or anything. I have checked my transmission fluid and thats fine...oil is not burnt or anything...gonna replace it soon. I was thinking it could be the reverse solenoid, but I have no clue where it is on the Tranny. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

J30MAN

Reaction score
mine clicks into drive/reverse with a slight jerk when its cold too...i think its normal. Because my dads 4Runner does it when it cold also, so I wouldn't worry too much. But yes change your fluid with Honda ATF-DW1 soon.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Is where you park on your driveway a hill? If so and you're not setting the ebrake before putting the car in park, that is what's causing it to shift hard into R. And the car already will naturally jerk just a tad when shifting cold.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
When I had autotragic before I went 5spd, autotragic would always clunk in reverse on cold mornings. But when it was warm outside it didn't do it. And I ALWAYS used the e-brake. This was still happening after I had it rebuilt two years ago. It's just a crappy tranny...Use a tranny cooler. It actually helps. Even on cold mornings. I know it sounds stupid but it helped before it took a big dump in my wallet...lol

maximus017

Reaction score
Is where you park on your driveway a hill? If so and you're not setting the ebrake before putting the car in park, that is what's causing it to shift hard into R. And the car already will naturally jerk just a tad when shifting cold.

Its slightly uphill...Am i suppose to set the brake before I put the car in park, or after...I have always done it after??? Habit i started when i had a manual..One thing i failed to mention, even sometimes when its warm it does it too.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If parking on a hill, I hold the brake pedal, set the e-brake, shift the car into Park, then release the brake pedal.

maximus017

Reaction score
Red Ryder thanks for the info...

just out of curiousity...has anyone tried Lucas Oil Transmission Fix...supposedly stops rough shifting and other problems...Any one have an idea about this product?

Cg2 Snowman

Reaction score
If parking on a hill, I hold the brake pedal, set the e-brake, shift the car into Park, then release the brake pedal.

+1
my is like a hill. it takes away the clunking sound/feeling when putting your car into reverse from park. It will help. My friends mom actually told me to do it to prevent it :)

Alis98v6

Reaction score
Letting the car warm up helps BIG time, if my car is cold and I go from park to reverse it feels like the Tranny just feel off, I have even broken motor mounts because of it

Sent from my Desire HD

Back