DIY: Swapping Instrument Cluster Needle Assemblies

Bax

Reaction score
This DIY is for if you need to swap the needle assemblies between instrument clusters of the same part number. Whether you bought a used instrument cluster and want to keep your original mileage on the odometer (instead of having to document mileages from your old one, and calculate it from the new cluster, or having it be wrong from the chassis mileage from the car, which will be a pain when trying to sell it, because you DO have to notify buyers of that.), sorry, I got away from my original point... Whether you bought a used cluster, or you simply bought brand new needle assemblies from Honda (like I did), this DIY will work for you.

This is for a 98-00 Manual instrument cluster. The only other instrument cluster I have experience with is a 98-00 V6 cluster, and it was the Ford cluster. It is pretty much the same as this, but no tabs in the back (you'll see this pictured later), and it was all once piece. So with that being said, do this at your own risk, and if you have a different cluster, just know it won't look identical to this DIY.

Okay, on to the pictures.
Oem goodness.
544481_364659130272167_857766778_n.jpg

First of all, you need to remove the instrument cluster from the car obviously. I didn't take pictures, because honestly if you can't do that, then you don't even need to attempt this.

Once you have the cluster out, remove the clear cover, and the black housing via tabs pictured below:
515bc93b.jpg

546d0058.jpg

e72791db.jpg

71e0da38.jpg

3bd964b3.jpg

abdd1f6f.jpg

47a041fc.jpg

1e0228e9.jpg

f690246d.jpg

9d90a7f7.jpg

05331a47.jpg

a5719f7d.jpg

dad04f1a.jpg

Now on the back of each needle motor, there will be these 2 tabs holding it in place.
You will need to bend these outwards to remove the assembly.
2710c432.jpg

d5247adf.jpg

There are 4 sets of these tabs, for each needle obviously.
6f40871b.jpg

Once you have the tabs bent, you simply lift up on the assembly to pop it out of where it's connected on the circuit board.
9ec487ea.jpg

783aa244.jpg

16d7a2bf.jpg

Do that with all 3, and you have this:
5ee15101.jpg

You just pop the new needle assembly in reverse of the way it was removed.
Put pressure on the middle of it where it attaches, to ensure it pops into place properly. It will "pop" into place. Don't push so hard to break anything, just a snug "pop." You'll know when it's in. (thatswhatshesaidlololol)
c083afc2.jpg

Do that with all 3:
fbfa23b1.jpg

Don't forget to bend the tabs on the back the way they should be bent to hold it in place, then just put the instrument cluster back together in reverse of removal and you're good to go! You now have new needle assemblies in with your original circuit board to keep your original mileage!
Out with the old, in with the new. :rock:
d7b74029.jpg

Last edited:

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
niceeeeee ! rep for you !

so in theory you could remove the faces and motors to add foil tap to help out with leds?

Bax

Reaction score
niceeeeee ! rep for you !

so in theory you could remove the faces and motors to add foil tap to help out with leds?

Exactly why I have this experience with my old V6 cluster. The foil tape helps out a lot, but only really with a cluster which you've taken the filter off the back. If you still have the filter it evenly disperses the light, without the filter not so much. So yeah, I used foil tape. I wouldn't need it unless I took the filter off again, though.

But yeah... do this, to put foil tape behind. Takes like 10 mins TOPs to do this.

cjsaccord

Reaction score
Would this work with swapping the 01,02 gauges into the 98-00 cluster?

CG6>YourCar

Reaction score
Bax, you're my hero. Now text me the part numbers and where you bought the assemblies from. :)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Oooh I am going to look at this later when I have more time. At work right now. :boo:

I don't think that's possible, I believe the faces are different.

Bax

Reaction score
:roy:
Honestly, I don't see that working. But I mean, you can try. Each needle motor has 3 or 4 pins that go into them from the circuit board, so I highly doubt that each one will be the exact same, being that the clusters are already so different.
But you can always be the guinea pig. :D lol
Bax, you're my hero. Now text me the part numbers and where you bought the assemblies from. :)
i looked everywhere on the online websites for dealerships, and couldn't find ****. But I figured what the hell, I'll go ask the dealership how much a new cluster is, then he told me I could buy individual pieces like this.

The part numbers are
78120-S84-A41 that's for the speedometer
78125-S84-A01
78130-S84-A01
I can't remember which one of those last two are tachometer and the gas/temp.
Oooh I am going to look at this later when I have more time. At work right now. :boo:

I don't think that's possible, I believe the faces are different.

Chris do you remember if you have the Ford cluster? Ithought all V6 models had them, but someone told me that they had a ford cluster in their I4 manual. :thinking:

CG6>YourCar

Reaction score
i looked everywhere on the online websites for dealerships, and couldn't find ****. But I figured what the hell, I'll go ask the dealership how much a new cluster is, then he told me I could buy individual pieces like this.

The part numbers are
78120-S84-A41 that's for the speedometer
78125-S84-A01
78130-S84-A01
I can't remember which one of those last two are tachometer and the gas/temp.

:omgbd: Haha, let me try to find the damned short circuit for my temp, if all else fails... time to waste money. :fail:

Back