Full DIY 01-03 JDM civic fog lights install

001Stunna

Reaction score
Hello, i recently got the lights and installed them fine but when it came to the wiring, i followed every step but the fog lights wont turn on, BUT the switch light does turn on, everything is grounded and connected the way it should according to this DIY. I have a possible reason why they wont turn on, where it is grounded, the previous owner painted the car and it got into the metal so does having paint affect the ground? Should i sand off the paint? or does it have nothing to do with it. Also could you tell me any other possible reasons why this isnt working? thanks.
i would try the sanding off the paint but it is night time now and i cant see anything

Clearly you MUST ground to bare metal...not paint.

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
installed my yesterday. sedan ebay fogs.
i spliced the wire and all grounds should be good.
they work and turn on but only with the car.
i plugged into the bottom left slot like everyone else.
the switch lights are off when the switch is pushed in and on when the switch is pushed out. thats backwards of what i think it should be.
the switch however does nothing at all regarding turning the fogs on and off.
they are on whenever the car is on or its on acc.

ive read every post on all 36 pages and nothing like this. any ideas? maybe a bad switch?
also, when i unplug the switch from the harness, the lights turn off.

001Stunna

Reaction score
installed my yesterday. sedan ebay fogs.
i spliced the wire and all grounds should be good.
they work and turn on but only with the car.
i plugged into the bottom left slot like everyone else.
the switch lights are off when the switch is pushed in and on when the switch is pushed out. thats backwards of what i think it should be.
the switch however does nothing at all regarding turning the fogs on and off.
they are on whenever the car is on or its on acc.

ive read every post on all 36 pages and nothing like this. any ideas? maybe a bad switch?
also, when i unplug the switch from the harness, the lights turn off.

Did you get this harness and connect it as such???
img0081cq.jpg

The fog lights get power from the battery but get the signal to turn on/off from the switch.
The switches light should come on when its pressed in/fogs off. and be turned off when switch is off/fogs off.
I have mine hooked up to slot #1 on the back of the fusebox.

Last edited:

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
Did you get this harness and connect it as such???
img0081cq.jpg

The fog lights get power from the battery but get the signal to turn on/off from the switch.
The switches light should come on when its pressed in/fogs off. and be turned off when switch is off/fogs off.
I have mine hooked up to slot #1 on the back of the fusebox.

ill try the number one slot. i think im plugged into number 4.
and no i got the harness thats like the one the OP had.

edit: with that slot, did you have to upgrade a fuse?

Last edited:

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
ok so im in the number 1 slot already. i swapped the fuse from a 7.5 to a 10 and now it goes like this:
the button is in the out (off?) position. key in, turn to acc, fogs come on. turn the engine on, fogs go out but both button lights are on. i push the button, button lights go off, fogs come on. push the button again to turn fogs off, button lights come on, fogs stay on, and theres no way to turn them off unless i unplug the switch or turn the car off.

maybe i got a bum switch? idk. im prob just gonna get the OEM switch from Jephu and see if that works.

001Stunna

Reaction score
ok so im in the number 1 slot already. i swapped the fuse from a 7.5 to a 10 and now it goes like this:
the button is in the out (off?) position. key in, turn to acc, fogs come on. turn the engine on, fogs go out but both button lights are on. i push the button, button lights go off, fogs come on. push the button again to turn fogs off, button lights come on, fogs stay on, and theres no way to turn them off unless i unplug the switch or turn the car off.

maybe i got a bum switch? idk. im prob just gonna get the OEM switch from Jephu and see if that works.

Re-check all your connections for the sake of it. That just sounds weird. It very well could be a faulty switch though...if you got them off ebay why not try to get the switch replaced.

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
ok i found and fixed the problem.
one of my fogs didnt turn on (fixed: grounding issue,) so i was looking at the switch and the wires to see if something came loose.
20121229_163403_zpsa247fb20.jpg

i found that one of the little pins inside was bent back
20121229_163540_zpsabee73ae.jpg

20121229_163551_zps67da3e08.jpg

prob from me plugging it in in a hurry.
so no problem, bent it back
20121229_163906_zps68613227.jpg

connected it up and what do ya know, the switch now works perfectly!!

very pleased i was able to fix this annoying issue.

Back