How to clear your CEL (after the problem is fixed)

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
If your CEL (Check Engine Light) is on the first thing you must do is figure out what's the problem and fix it.
Click Here to figure out how to read the code to see what's the problem
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the problem is fixed, now you must reset the ECU to clear the CEL.

This is the light that will be on

mypictures00010vd.png

Now, you will need some type of fuse pulling tool

mypictures00047hb.jpg

Now, while the car is off go to the passenger side fuse box, and pull out the number 13 (7.5) fuse. Leave it out for 30sec.

mypictures00050vq.jpg

mypictures00060gi.jpg

mypictures00073tg.jpg

If, for any reason you can't locate that fuse, or you have a problem retracting it, there's another option.
Go to the fusebox under the hood and pull out the 40amp fuse labeled back up/accessory.

mypictures00089ei.jpg

mypictures00094ox.jpg

mypictures00109px.jpg

mypictures00117nw.jpg

After leaving the fuse out for 30sec, re install it and if all goes well, the stored code should be cleared because you've reset the ECU and the CEL should no longer be lit.

mypictures00129fa.jpg

mypictures00133md.jpg

IF you can, remove the fuse in the fuse box on the passenger side of the car. That way only the clock will be reset.
If you remove the fuse under the hood, you'll reset the clock, radio, trip meter, and thermostat settings.

If you've reset the ECU, started the car and the CEL is still lit, there's another code that exists that you have to pull, or you haven't fixed the existing problem.

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yea, my damn 7.5 fuse was loose and the prongs were all sh!tty looking, so it would come loose and w/e, and would reset the ecu like, while the car was off, haha, it pissed me off so bad, the power door locks wouldnt work. and sometimes the clock would go out while i was driving, haha, pissed me off soooooo bad, haha, so i bought a new fuse and problem solved their.

steadypimpin

Reaction score
You can also reset the light after u fix the problem by disconnecting you r battery for about a minute and it will go away too.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
steadypimpin said:
You can also reset the light after u fix the problem by disconnecting you r battery for about a minute and it will go away too.

True, but that's the same as removing the fuse under the hood which is much easier

jccg5

Reaction score
MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AWAY on....GUESS WAT CAUSE EVERYTIME I FILL HER UP...I ALWAY TOP It...And i ask my friend he said dont top it..cuz when u top it the engine light will come on because teh fuel cap..cant pressurize with...gas stilll at gas door ..or maybe some one else told me

DjC

Reaction score
711.11 miles on the trip and 111711 on the odo.

wtf!

xluben

Reaction score
jccg5 said:
MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AWAY on....GUESS WAT CAUSE EVERYTIME I FILL HER UP...I ALWAY TOP It...And i ask my friend he said dont top it..cuz when u top it the engine light will come on because teh fuel cap..cant pressurize with...gas stilll at gas door ..or maybe some one else told me
why top off? there's no point.

you have to make sure the cap clicks at least 3 times or the CEL can come on.

Back