How to clear your CEL (after the problem is fixed)

knifedag007

Reaction score
MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AWAY on....GUESS WAT CAUSE EVERYTIME I FILL HER UP...I ALWAY TOP It...And i ask my friend he said dont top it..cuz when u top it the engine light will come on because teh fuel cap..cant pressurize with...gas stilll at gas door ..or maybe some one else told me
It could be coming on throwing an evap code because when you top off, it gets so close to being completely full that when u drive gas sloshes and sometimes gets into the evap canister. You either have to stop topping off and wait a long time, eventually the gas will evaporate out of the canister, or take it out and empty it. Either way stop topping off.
well that's what happened to me...(Honda said it was due to topping off)

finch13

Reaction score
Also, loose gas caps with throw an EVAP canister code, it's happened to me. 3 clicks on the cap, even says it right on there!

Viciouseg0

Reaction score
Need some help, I did this and now my speedometer is not working its all the way on the other side reading past 140 and just staying there. Any help please?

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Need some help, I did this and now my speedometer is not working its all the way on the other side reading past 140 and just staying there. Any help please?

Wait...
You reset your CEL and now Speedometer is screwed up?
Check all the fuses in that panel.
Resettign the CEL shouldn't affect your speedo

Raul

Reaction score
can i just remove the bulb for CEL? It has been on since 2008! First, i thought it was o2 sensors, which I got changed for both front and rear. Then my mechanic told me its the cat. But another mechanic told me that my cat is fine. My mpg is still good and no foul smell. However, my etest is due soon and i do want to get rid of this annoying CEL.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
can i just remove the bulb for CEL? It has been on since 2008! First, i thought it was o2 sensors, which I got changed for both front and rear. Then my mechanic told me its the cat. But another mechanic told me that my cat is fine. My mpg is still good and no foul smell. However, my etest is due soon and i do want to get rid of this annoying CEL.

1) removing the bulb does NOT fix the problem

2) Depending upon your state, you may not be able to pass inspection

If you go to autozone, they can tell you what code your CEL is throwing and you can go from there to determine what's the problem.
Without knowing what code, you're literally shooting in the dark and wasting money on parts you didnt/dont need to replace

001Stunna

Reaction score

Come to a west meet and you can look at what the scan tool shows up yourself lolz. it might've been a p0420 for cat-converter under threshold code though if he mentioned the cat-converter being bad. Maybe take off the clock/backup fuse for 15-20 seconds asap so it resets the light, see if it comes on till thursday again and make it by the meet.

Back