F23A5 Turbo Build

akoutmos

Reaction score
Hello to all, this thread is about my turbo build from this past summer. Was just looking through my photos and thought to myself that i should throw it up on the forum to help those on the path to boost (as not to make the same mistakes i made). Unfortunately, i bought a turbo kit from Turbo Specialties (which made this project so much harder) because i just could not find a turbo manifold that was unequal port (0-00-0). I later found this (Turbo Manifoldl) but it was too late. I'm looking at fully building the motor this summer with new turbo and manifold. If anyone knows where i could get an equal tubular manifold that would be amazing. And so here we go...

The parts list includes:
Turbo Specialties F22B kit (the F22s were also unequal port 0-00-0)
AEM EMS
RC 750cc injectors
AEM wideband gauge
ACT Heavy Duty Clutch
ACT Pro Lite Flywheel
Full exhaust with delete pipe
Samco turbo coolant lines
Seibon evo carbon fiber hood
NRG carbon fiber hood pins
Autometer boost gauge
Autometer stage 2 tachometer
Glowshift triple gauge pillar

And so onto the build...

Took off the bumper, splash shield, and hood to get around the car easier and for intercooler install
100_0718.JPG

The clutch kit and flywheel that came in. Don't you just love when the UPS man brings parts :)
100_0719.JPG

Just a picture of the trunk and the sound system
100_0722.JPG

Wiring up the boost gauge, tach and AEM wideband
100_0731.JPG

The parts layed out
100_0779.JPG

My brother taking out the engine stiffener to get the oil pan out
100_0782.JPG

Me working on scraping off all the old gasket material off the oil pan
100_0787.JPG

Didn't take a picture of it while we were doing it but we drilled the oil pan and threaded on the oil return line from the turbo. Here is the set up on the car
100_0804.JPG

Installing the intercooler piping and the BOV. I think its a Megan Racing BOV but i have no idea what came with the kit lol
100_0808.JPG

Installing the AEM ECU and turbo timer
100_0816.JPG

And this picture summarizes the quality of the turbo kit's parts. The freaking coolant line burst on the inside. No idea how or why so thats why we went samco with real A/N fittings
100_0829.JPG

Me working on the samco hoses
DSCF0194.JPG

Finished wiring up the AEM ECU. We were driving around on a base map; no boosting and no wideband installed. Just to see if everything was working right mechanically
DSCF0202.JPG

Drilled the down pipe for the wideband bung
DSCF0214.JPG

Me welding the bung into place
DSCF0262.JPG

Me building an intake for the turbo
DSCF0270.JPG

The finished product. I would have welded the aluminum but the welder is only setup for steel. And besides welding aluminum is a pain
DSCF0279.JPG

Built a catch can with $10. Way cheaper than greddy lol
DSCF0299.JPG

Test fit the catch can and intake
DSCF0307.JPG

Carbon fiber hood came in and was installed. I remember the day, i was so excited!!
DSCF0323.JPG

Now that everything was working right, it was time to install the clutch and flywheel. Me and my bro tried separating the trans from the engine while it was in the bay but there was just not enough room to work and the damn thing just would not come off. So we pulled the motor
DSCF0372.JPG

Setting up a place to set the motor down
DSCF0378.JPG

My little brother cleaning the engine bay. Anti freeze spilled out of the back of the motor when we pulled it. And besides, there is no better time to clean an engine bay with the motor out
DSCF0386.JPG

Clutch and flywheel installed
DSCF0398.JPG

And a couple pictures of the finished product
DSCF0453.JPG

DSCF0454.JPG

DSCF0458.JPG

DSCF0459.JPG

DSCF0456.JPG

A video of the dyno run can be found here: Here

The final numbers on the accord are as follows:
204 wtq @ 4600rpm @ 10psi
211 whp @ 5250rpm @ 10psi

As for this summer i plan on really making this thing into a beast. Pistons, rods, sleeves, new turbo set up (prob a GT3076R), wilwood big brake kit, sway bars, ksport RR damper suspension, and front strut bar. Looking at some where between 350whp and 400whp.

Well, that about sums up the build. All i can do now is wait till summer to get to work again on this beast in the making. Fell free to comment or ask questions.

Last edited:

Shizzy

Reaction score
:ugh2:
man I wish i was as skilled as you are! I would be doing SOOOO MUCH **** to my motor.... one of theses days... mad props

akoutmos

Reaction score
I can't take all the credit. It was a team effort. Without my brothers, it would have never gotten done, and worked so smoothly. Thanks btw

likeawp

Reaction score
Deep respect for all the handiness you and your brothers possess haha :D.........I swear to take auto classes after securing a job after college

Aside the costly AEM EMS......How much did the turbo kit cost altogether??

I really liked how you did your oil catch can........I've been delaying doing this mod.........think I'm gonna have a trip to the general hardware store soon :duckhunt:

iHazSnail

Reaction score
Good work! :thumbup:

OBX is the only company that makes one for the F23 but i wouldn't go with their product since OBX is pretty much a trial by fire sorta thing.
You could just look over on the forums and might find something or ebay or just have one made for you.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Mad props on this whole project, always good to see another turbo accord! I love watching others doing this (the right way)! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the motor build and other upgrades!

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
Awesome job man. Very inspiring to get my butt out there and finish mine. By the way you can get a log manifold from a company called STR. You have to order it from canada tho. I don't know about any tubular ones. What's the specs on the turbo itself you're using?

Back