★ Russianred's Turbo Build Thread! ★ *UPDATED 4/15* ★

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Re: Russianred's Turbo Build Thread! *UPDATED 3/23/11*

Congrats on graduating dude, really good to see you got the priorities in the right order.
Interesting that you've gone nursing, my mate here did a degree in that, he did placement (required here for the course - not sure about USA) with the paramedics over the xmas breaks and decided that was more his thing.
He now owns 2 houses, has a stunning wife and 2 kids. He is GM of the local stations and absolutely loves it..... guess I'm trying to say perhaps you should have a look at being a paramedic.
(they seem to get paid better than nurses here - could be different in the US)

Anyways, cars progressing fairly well all things considered, don't lose site of the goal as you're almost there - even if it doesn't seem like it right now.
Whatever happened to the VW you had too btw?

In USA, it is better for nurses. Depending on where you work you can make $80,000 - $120,000 USD. Thanks for the congratulations! The VW is still in Maine at my dad's place - I can't wait to get to it as soon as I move back to that area. I know exactly what's wrong with it too - the fuel return valve is broken. I am not losing any motivation for the Accord, in fact I am ready to bust out on it!

if you need any help let me know.

Thanks man! I will probably be going to Edmond to get the car this coming Sunday, I already found a trailer but I could definitely use a hand loading it!

sydkck67

Reaction score

Congrats on graduating Nikita! Can't wait until you return to Maine so we can chill...

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Well, Accord is officially brought to where it needs to be - the shop close to my apartment. Yay for finally being able to pull the engine and start on the details. Just brought it up today, will be beginning work on it sometime this week. Of course the shop hasn't finished my parts yet, but aside from that there is so much that I have planned anyways that it will keep me plenty busy!

akoutmos

Reaction score

Congrats on graduating buddy! Best of luck with your future plans.

Time to focus on the Accord now :hihi:

I feel really bad, i have completely neglected my Accord :sad: . School sucks.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Worked on it today, about to take head off and drop block out later tonight. Stay tuned for pix when I have time to link them.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Head is off. AC has been deleted. Block out next.. By the way, all cylinder walls are smooth. I could have even used this OEM stock block on my build. Oh well, now I have two haha! I took the car on a ride before dismembering it, boosted up hard in first and second gears, it was so nostalgic, and pulled surprisingly hard for having sitting garaged for 9 months. It cranked up and started first try, and proceeded to purr on the 2 working cylinders remaining haha. Then we took it apart..

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

My friend Eli starting to crank:

IMG_7646.jpg

Draining fluids:

IMG_7647.jpg

Grime:

IMG_7648.jpg

Dirty turbo:

IMG_7649.jpg

Unhooking everything to take head off:

IMG_7650.jpg

Ready to take off:

IMG_7666.jpg

Head off:

IMG_7668.jpg

AC ports:

IMG_7681.jpg

AC off:

IMG_7676.jpg

Parts:

IMG_7679.jpg

Engine bay:

IMG_7678.jpg

Bay:

IMG_7671.jpg

Me doin work:

IMG_7675.jpg

Still working on getting the block out.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Some quick questions about the sleeves. Our OEM sleeves, how do they look if we were to take a side-cut profile view? Are they flanged? Are they uniform in structure from top to bottom besides for the flange area? Are there gaps or changes in the shape in either top or bottom of the sleeve before pressing in? For example - does it look like an hourglass in some areas? I have never seen a side-cut profile view of our OEM sleeves and haven't been able to find much info.

Also, when installing sleeves I heard that they freeze them to condense, then press them in quick so that when they warm up they are completely secure. What difference does it make if this is done or not? Is it a necessity? I'm pretty sure my shop said that they do not need to do that to press my sleeves in.

Input appreciated, TIA.

- Nikita

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

I was told by nva-av6 that our stock sleeves aren't pressed in bu that the block is actually cast around them. that why he was worried about my block being overbored, he said that there could be thin spots in the cylinder walls so I'm not sure if that means its shaped differently in different spots or what.

As for the freezing the sleeve part it makes it easier to get them in and out since the metal contracts some when it gets cold. my teacher used to tell us about how when he was like 13 and was real big into working on motorcycle engines he would use a similar procedure for pressing in wrist pins on piston/connecting rods. said he'd put the pistons and rods in the oven and put the wrist pins in the freezer that way he could drop the wrist pin straight through without it really taking any effort to press into place.

hope this helps.

Back