Post 5-speed swap...still no Speedo..Help!

Lloyd

Reaction score
I swapped from auto to a manual 5 speed in my '98 coupe recently. I managed to get the car running again and got my backup lights working. Problem is , I can't get my speedo or Vtec working.

I wired the VSS up as per Turbowa's Write-up:

-black/yellow running from VSS to drivers-side multiplex and spliced into one of 2 black yellows that Turbowa describes (tried both with no luck)

-Blue wire from VSS repinned from plug D into plug C #23 ...then T'd that off to the blue/white going into the passenger-side multiplex...though it's spliced in before the fusebox and not after, as Turbowa describes. SHouldn't make a difference I thought.

-Black ground wire going into the car via the existing green wire From plug D #16 ...cut that & added the grounding ring and bolted to the chassis

I even bought a new VSS, thinking that had to be the problem....wasted a bunch of money there I think because I still have no speedo. I tested both VSS with a multimeter and can't get a 0-5 volt reading when I spin the gear like Turbowa describes on either of them.....hmmm.

The one thing I've been thinking is the big tranny plug that gets cut off....It's the only thing I can think that I may have messed up. I think I spliced together the red/black and black. The car started after that and I didn't dick with them any further. Anyone have any idea if I could be screwing up my speedo by having the wrong wires spliced together at the end of the big A/T plug?

I'd like to know more about the purpose of wiring that tranny plug harness after cutting off the plug during the 5-speed swap. The colors Turbowa describes are slightly different on my car. He says combine the Red and black and possibly Gray wires. I seem to have a Black, Red/black, and a baby blue wire.

Thanks for any help .............Lloyd

Last edited:

Lloyd

Reaction score
Hi...Well I think I may have discovered why I have no speedo after my 5-speed swap.

I bought an ECU from a 6th gen member that I was told was for a manual car of my year. But after driving around for a month with no speedo & no V-tec, thinking it was a bad VSS or my wiring job, I finally checked my error codes....And I was getting P1768 and P700 that mean "AT concerns"...I thought that was funny and I suspected that perhaps my ECU was for an automatic.

I found some good info here about Accord ECU serial codes: http://hondaswap.com/ecus-electronics-tuning/decoding-ecu-serial-numbers-60510/

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=36977967

So I had a look at my ECU # 37820-PAA-L76 and sure enough it had a 7 in the middle of that last group of 3 numbers indicating it was for an automatic.

I went up to the junkyard today where I knew there was a ECU still in my 2000 manual donor car ( different year than mine,which is 1998, that's why I bought my present one..I was told year was important) and pulled it out. Sure enough...# 37820-PAA-A01.. a "0" in the middle of that last group of 3 numbers indicating it's a manual. Another huge giveaway is also that the plug location to the far right (the AT plug) is empty and has no pins in it compared with the auto ECU, which has pins.

Anyway I'm gonna go get my key coded for the new ECU and I'll let you all know if my speedo and V-tec miraculously works and my crazy surging idle goes away. Hopefully this info will help others avoid the pitfall of getting the wrong type of ECU installed in their car during the 5-speed swap.

Lloyd

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Hi...Well I think I may have discovered why I have no speedo after my 5-speed swap.

I bought an ECU from a 6th gen member that I was told was for a manual car of my year. But after driving around for a month with no speedo & no V-tec, thinking it was a bad VSS or my wiring job, I finally checked my error codes....And I was getting P1768 and P700 that mean "AT concerns"...I thought that was funny and I suspected that perhaps my ECU was for an automatic.

I found some good info here about Accord ECU serial codes: http://hondaswap.com/ecus-electronics-tuning/decoding-ecu-serial-numbers-60510/

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=36977967

So I had a look at my ECU # 37820-PAA-L76 and sure enough it had a 7 in the middle of that last group of 3 numbers indicating it was for an automatic.

I went up to the junkyard today where I knew there was a ECU still in my 2000 manual donor car ( different year than mine,which is 1998, that's why I bought my present one..I was told year was important) and pulled it out. Sure enough...# 37820-PAA-A01.. a "0" in the middle of that last group of 3 numbers indicating it's a manual. Another huge giveaway is also that the plug location to the far right (the AT plug) is empty and has no pins in it compared with the auto ECU, which has pins.

Anyway I'm gonna go get my key coded for the new ECU and I'll let you all know if my speedo and V-tec miraculously works and my crazy surging idle goes away. Hopefully this info will help others avoid the pitfall of getting the wrong type of ECU installed in their car during the 5-speed swap.

Lloyd

Who the hell sold you an AT ECU?

Drift

Reaction score
You should have noticed the 4 plug in the ecu was pinned. MT ecu's only have 3 pinned connectors.

Lloyd

Reaction score
You should have noticed the 4 plug in the ecu was pinned. MT ecu's only have 3 pinned connectors.

I had no reason to believe the M/T ECU looked any different in that regard when compared to the A/T....till I finally got my hands on one yesterday.

Lloyd

toast

Reaction score
I know that a 98 uses an additional sensor to determine the coolant temperature...hopefully your gauge will still work. If it doesnt work, I'm looking for a 2000 ecu!

finch13

Reaction score
I know that a 98 uses an additional sensor to determine the coolant temperature...hopefully your gauge will still work. If it doesnt work, I'm looking for a 2000 ecu!

I believe the entire lineup of F23 vehicles use two separate sensors to measure coolant, the coolant temperature sensor itself that sends a signal to the ECU and the coolant temperature sending unit that sends a signal to the temp gauge. They're right next to each other on the head, the temperature sensor is the larger of the 2.

toast

Reaction score
I believe the entire lineup of F23 vehicles use two separate sensors to measure coolant, the coolant temperature sensor itself that sends a signal to the ECU and the coolant temperature sending unit that sends a signal to the temp gauge. They're right next to each other on the head, the temperature sensor is the larger of the 2.
Okay, Just refreshed my memory...on 1998 and 1999 models, the guage sending unit is located under the distributor. 2000 and later model do not have a coolant temperature sending unit. These models utilize the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor instead.

Lloyd

Reaction score
Well guys, that was it ... Problem solved. I had the 2000 (actually dated aug '99) manual ecu installed today and my speedo came to life as well as v-tec. The crazy surging idle went away and it purrs like a kitten.

My coolant temp gauge seems to work, but that's good info to know.

I guess my 5-speed swap is finally complete after 2+ months of tinkering and troubleshooting. Perhaps I'll look into getting my cruise control working now :)

anyone looking for a VSS? I bought one thinking mine was toast but it was my ecu. Hopefully the fine fella I got the "manual" ECU from just mistakenly thought it was a manual and won't mind taking it back, as it's been an expensive to find out it was actually an auto.

Lloyd

Back