05-08 RL J35A8 with Automatic complete Swap

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Like I said, the motor is not the issue, it is easy to bolt on in all respects. Your Achilles heel is using the RL auto transmission.

jayycobb

Reaction score
Like I said, the motor is not the issue, it is easy to bolt on in all respects. Your Achilles heel is using the RL auto transmission.

Exactly!

Mounting points, axles (spline count/thickness/length), intermediate shaft, and true dimensions might make this not work. Whats a good website to see the 7th gen accord tranny (since that seems to be the one that works in the 6gen) next to a RL auto tranny which noone uses for swaps??!!!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Just gotta scrounge around man, search here, V6P, J32a, Acurazine, etc etc. The extensive research is just part of swapping. There is no website I know of that will just have a database with pictures of various transmissions.

You could always try to find good pictures of both on Ebay, Google, etc and compare that way.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Right.....the motor will fit, no problem.

Sounds like you have done some research in to what you will need in addition to that.

For the most part, whatever was done to a Civic to make it work, will work with our cars.

The compatibility issue isn't something familiar, because I don't think anyone with a CG has done this swap. You would have to research that.

The above mentioned websites, will be great points of reference for you though, because you will get alot of info from people who actually know what they are talking about.

jayycobb

Reaction score

Sweet! Thank you guys so much for the help!

RedRyder, are you referring to the mount positions or the physical dimensions, fitting it into the subframe? obviously the bellhousing bolts up if I get the entire swap. I cannot find photos of this tranny anywhere, if I do, its usually one with no mounts on it and I have no frame of reference, no pun intended! :)

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I would go on Acurazine and see if you can locate pics of the underside of some of the RL's on there.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Tranny itself will fit in the space, you just will want to find out where it mounts to the RL subframe (usually two trans mounts), and how that translates to your subframe. It will either match up, or take some custom work for mounting.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
As far as I know that has not specifically been done. Talk to James (halabeaster54) on here, you can reach him by PM or he may just chime in. He would be a good insight for this

I'm making 345whp and 356.5lbs all motor with a stock head, oem parts bottom end, stock compression, stock transmission, with just ebay bolt ons and pump gas (i ran out of injector). I would use a j35a3, 05 odyssey transmission, cl type s auto ecu and harness. you'd need the shifter and stuff like that from either a tl or cl type s. you'll have tip, a 3.5l with the best flowing heads and best block and internals of the j series. a new piggy back is coming out, its in the j swapped group on Facebook and id tune it with that. If your really desperate for power switch to e85 and if your still not reaching your mark, hit me up on Facebook and ill give you some secrets.

lol, i just went through the thread. shoot me an inbox on Facebook, "James Halaby" ill help you out.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I'm making 345whp and 356.5lbs all motor with a stock head, oem parts bottom end, stock compression, stock transmission, with just ebay bolt ons and pump gas (i ran out of injector). I would use a j35a3, 05 odyssey transmission, cl type s auto ecu and harness. you'd need the shifter and stuff like that from either a tl or cl type s. you'll have tip, a 3.5l with the best flowing heads and best block and internals of the j series. a new piggy back is coming out, its in the j swapped group on Facebook and id tune it with that. If your really desperate for power switch to e85 and if your still not reaching your mark, hit me up on Facebook and ill give you some secrets.

lol, i just went through the thread. shoot me an inbox on Facebook, "James Halaby" ill help you out.

Yup, this about covers everything I am using for my swap as well, minus the shifter. Don't need the tiptronic.

James, if these are your numbers, then when the upgrades that I am doing, I am curious to see what my numbers will be. Only thing is it's an auto tranny, so probably won't be quite as high.

Back