$1050 for Bumper Touch Up?

Varnell

Reaction score
So, I just recently did the 5lug conversion. My parking brakes weren't engaging, so when I parked I put my car in first gear. One night I forgot and this happened.

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/191/1nfp.jpg/

She checked local collision repair shops and they want $1000. :rage:

Isn't this a bit ridiculous? I was thinking maybe $100. Any suggestions? The lady has been nice and cooperative.

Comparison: I need a new zip tie for my bumper, she needs $1000.

Also, it happened at my school parking lot. A friend tried to tell me that I'm not required to pay for it since it was on private property. I fully intend to take responsibility, but not when I feel like I'm getting taken advantage of.

Last edited:

Matt1264

Reaction score
seems a bit outrageous for a bumper. $100 is still low though. nobody is gonna do it for that. Instead I would take my thousand dollars and use this as an opportunity to learn how to paint myself.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Don't know what your friend is talking about, it's still your fault you hit her, the school isn't going to pay for it. But yeah, even a brand new OEM Scion bumper, freshly painted mind you, wouldn't cost $1000. So whatever shops she is getting quotes from are raping the **** out of this situation. Or they are quoting for other replacement parts in addition to the bumper cover. But from the looks of it, nothing behind the cover was damaged.

Unless that's a bad photo, all I see is light scuffing/scraping, if just the spot gets touched up (which any competent body shop should be able to handle) it shouldn't be more than $500 and that's being generous. If they are quoting a complete re-spray that shouldn't be more than $700, and that's also being generous. Anyway you slice it, definitely not going to be $100 though.

Last edited:

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
I'd want to know the details in that $1000 quote, it does seem high. Unless it's only in the clearcoat and you're paying a detailer to buff it out, $100 is ridiculous also.

cl206

Reaction score
I'm betting that 1000 quote included replacing the whole bumper. If not, it is very high. I have had dents fixed on my door and fender and each time it was like 175 to 300 (including full painting of the part). From that picture, I don't see why they have to replace the bumper. A few years back I did have the bumper of my 04 MDX replaced and the whole job was like 950ish.

It might be sexist for me to say this, but she is a lady and maybe that one shop is feeding her a bull of sheet because of her gender. If I would you offer to go with her or even to go urself and get some quotes since ur paying for it. If she's hot, why not? :love62:

Last edited:

vtec2000

Reaction score
looks like its just the clear coat that got f#cked, wet sanding and buffing it could fix it.

Back