245/45/17 Nitto Drag Radials in front-DD

jayycobb

Reaction score
Hello all,

I plan to lower my 6g Accord with H&R OE spring kit # 51858-55 and KYB GR2s(staying in budget).
Front drop .75"
Rear drop .5"

The car will be powered by a 3.5L MDX engine +bolt ons 250ft/lbs of torque so I would like to occasionally maximize grip during acceleration and turns. MUSTS-- car is an automatic, comfortable, daily driven sleeper that I can load up with 5-6 passengers from time to time to go party or take a long trip.

Stock tire is 205/65/15--- 25.5" diameter

I just purchased 2 Feather Konig 17x7.5 45mm offset that I believe will go in the rear with 2 cheap 235/45 tires. I dont mind rolling the quarters to make 245/45 fit if they wont rub when heavily loaded (6 passengers).

My 2 make/model choice for front tires would be either BF GOODRICH BFG G-FORCE T/A KDW (non drag radials) or the Nitto NT555R Drag Radial. Would a drag radial be uncomfortable to drive around town everyday or on long trips? If not, I can put a non drag radial tire on the front other than the ones mentioned with a lot of meat, after all, it is an automatic and probably wont get a lot of wheel spin. What are your thoughts on this?

Size choices are:
1st choice--- 245/55/15 -drag radial--more meat!
2nd choice---245/50/16- in between a fatty (55)and a skinny (45 series)!
3nd choice---245/45/17 - still a drag radial but not sure if it will be comfortable or drive/handle properly? What effect will this size have on the bearings/suspension?
4nd choice---235/45-17 - probably would fit with no mods at all (no tire manufacturer offers this size drag radial, but is it needed?)...

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Okay. Lets start over

1: You would not need that kinda of grip. That's not enough power, especially with an auto, to warrant that.

2: Unless they are d.o.t. wet radials, they can't be driven in any weather. Alternatively if they are wet, then they will wear down like hell in dry.

3: They will wear down ridiculously quick. Daily driving is a no-no unless you're willing to shell out the cash often.

4: If grip actually was a concern, you wouldn't have bought such a narrow rim.

5: Ride quality. Not that great, you will feel everything and they can be punctured a lot easier than a typical tire (not 100% sure, but I think I remember reading that somewhere)

My thoughts, since you asked: You're not very educated on these topics and also have not even done that engine swap, and probably never will.

jayycobb

Reaction score
Okay. Lets start over

1: You would not need that kinda of grip. That's not enough power, especially with an auto, to warrant that.

2: Unless they are d.o.t. wet radials, they can't be driven in any weather. Alternatively if they are wet, then they will wear down like hell in dry.

3: They will wear down ridiculously quick. Daily driving is a no-no unless you're willing to shell out the cash often.

4: If grip actually was a concern, you wouldn't have bought such a narrow rim.

5: Ride quality. Not that great, you will feel everything and they can be punctured a lot easier than a typical tire (not 100% sure, but I think I remember reading that somewhere)

My thoughts, since you asked: You're not very educated on these topics and also have not even done that engine swap, and probably never will.

Thank you, oh wise mediator of all automotive knowledge that is great. If you would have read my post, you would have read that I only bought 2-17x7.5s for the rear so far... Last I checked, people are here to share information and knowledge. You could have said all of that in one sentence without being a complete arse, but its ok, I remember the first time I had my first beer too... Now that you've mentioned it, yes, the engine is being prepped with new gaskets and tranny will arrive at the reman shop later this week, thanx for your concern brother! For the rest of you that are reading this and dont think I am lying about my build (because people in their 30s have nothing to do but waste their time lying about building a friggin honda) or would like to help with correct front/rear tire/rim size, I would greatly appreciate it. I guess its safe to say a Drag radial is the incorrect tire for my setup, ugh what a douche. :thumbsup:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Thank you, oh wise mediator of all automotive knowledge that is great. If you would have read my post, you would have read that I only bought 2-17x7.5s for the rear so far... Last I checked, people are here to share information and knowledge. You could have said all of that in one sentence without being a complete arse, but its ok, I remember the first time I had my first beer too... Now that you've mentioned it, yes, the engine is being prepped with new gaskets and tranny will arrive at the reman shop later this week, thanx for your concern brother! For the rest of you that are reading this and dont think I am lying about my build (because people in their 30s have nothing to do but waste their time lying about building a friggin honda) or would like to help with correct front/rear tire/rim size, I would greatly appreciate it. I guess its safe to say a Drag radial is the incorrect tire for my setup, ugh what a douche. :thumbsup:

1: Read up about tires. I'm not, whatever you just attempted to call me. I've just read about it before.

2: Rear tires matter for grip as well.

3: Don't know why you brought up a first beer....

4: I guess congratulations on the progress..?

5: Don't ask for someone's opinions and then completely come back with, you're an ass, douche, whatever. If you didn't want an answer then don't ask and read up on the topic yourself.

Edit: Oh, and I guess I'm a douche because you thought using a dot drag radial on a DD was actually a good idea... Yeah that makes me a douche all right :rolleyes:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sarcasm. It's so lost on the Internet.

You don't need drag radials. Just get a good performance tire with decent tread wear rating. I'd go at least 8" wide on a 235 tire and make them all the same size

Tire rack = tire reviews as well as the review section in here

jayycobb

Reaction score
1: Read up about tires. I'm not, whatever you just attempted to call me. I've just read about it before.

2: Rear tires matter for grip as well.

3: Don't know why you brought up a first beer....

4: I guess congratulations on the progress..?

5: Don't ask for someone's opinions and then completely come back with, you're an ass, douche, whatever. If you didn't want an answer then don't ask and read up on the topic yourself.

Edit: Oh, and I guess I'm a douche because you thought using a dot drag radial on a DD was actually a good idea... Yeah that makes me a douche all right :rolleyes:

So you are bashing my ability to complete my swap because you READDD and dont speak from experience about drag radials not being good to use on a daily driven vehicle? Do you go around just restate what you read in a douchy manner all day or just to people that are hundreds of miles away and cannot physically hurt you? Wow, I thought you had a ton of first world experience in all of your 22 years (5 actual years of working on cars)... Isnt it past your bed time?

btw- where did you READ... that rear tires matter for grip? I might want to check that out or are you speaking from real world experience again? :thumbsup:

Is there anyone else here (experienced in what I am discussing) that might know what rim/tire size combo would contribute to this vehicles setup and the concerns I touched on in my first post?

jayycobb

Reaction score
Sarcasm. It's so lost on the Internet.

You don't need drag radials. Just get a good performance tire with decent tread wear rating. I'd go at least 8" wide on a 235 tire and make them all the same size

Tire rack = tire reviews as well as the review section in here

Thank you, wow that was simple.

No seriously thank you. :)

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
:henry:

You're coming at me like a mad man right now. I read that they are bad for daily driving. They are not good in weather, are uncomfortable, and wear down quickly. I don't need personal experience to know that.

So what you're trying to say is that you would be throwing fists because I said something in a douchey manor? And I only did because I felt no threat from you? :rolleyes: Where'd you get this 22 years of age from? :lawl:

How would you think rears don't matter? Maybe in a straight line they don't but any other time they do.

As far as sizing. 8-9" wide, 17 or 18" 235/45 for 17 235/40 for 18 with high performance all-seasons and you'll be all good.

jayycobb

Reaction score
:henry:

You're coming at me like a mad man right now. I read that they are bad for daily driving. They are not good in weather, are uncomfortable, and wear down quickly. I don't need personal experience to know that.

So what you're trying to say is that you would be throwing fists because I said something in a douchey manor? And I only did because I felt no threat from you? :rolleyes: Where'd you get this 22 years of age from? :lawl:

How would you think rears don't matter? Maybe in a straight line they don't but any other time they do.

As far as sizing. 8-9" wide, 17 or 18" 235/45 for 17 235/40 for 18 with high performance all-seasons and you'll be all good.

Haha! Its the sarcasm, I apologize. I just dont like when people question my ability to build something that seems to be coming together so easy, well and quickly. Ill try to post pics or start a build thread as soon as possible. The beer joke was from the movie Step Brothers, watch it, its good!

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
The step brothers thing came to my mind....

None of that seemed like sarcasm. If it was it was extremely hidden

Back