5-speed swap: rear engine mount

Lloyd

Reaction score
I'm on the upside of my tranny swap now on my '98 coupe. Tranny is installed now....I was in the process of routing my shifter cables over the transmission when I realized that they must come through or around the rear engine mount bracket. I had the A/T mount still installed and there looked to be no clean way of routing the cables....SOOOO I had a look at the M/T mount and sure 'nuff....there's 2 holes in the bracket for the cables to pass through.

Since I have it, I am about to install the the M/T rear mount.

My question is about the fancy valved/electonic rear mount. IF I plan to use a manual ECU anyway ..would the A/T electronic mount still function?...Or would it become just a dead mount ...Is it just as well that I go ahead and install the M/T rear mount with it's better cable routing?

Thanks for any info

Lloyd

Lloyd

Reaction score
THanks...I figured I could probably get away with that, but I'm pretty anal about at least knowing a little about the rules before I break 'em.

I'm also realizing that to get the cables through the holes in that rear mount bracket would require disassmbling the cables...The ends don't fit through. ANd it's occuring to me that the junkyard guys that took my donor car apart probably didn't take the time to do that...and perhaps these 2 holes arent' even for that purpose.

....anyone have a photo or diagram of how the shift cables rout around the rear mount on a stock 5 speed 6th gen?

Thanks

Lloyd

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
yeah im sure that they go over the mount. but best of luck in finding a pic

Lloyd

Reaction score
I think I figured it out....you're right, they go over the mount. A little detective work and tinkering is all it took to see that's the only way they can really go.

I ended up removing the A/T mount and it's solenoid/sensor thingy from the firewall, and am using the M/T mount. I notice the M/T rear mount has a flat top on it that seems to lend itself to passing the cables over it more easily than the A/T...also, I just like the idea of getting rid of as many traces of the Automatic as I can.

Lloyd

VonDubz

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread, but did the manual bracket and bolt right in?

Back