5spd swap?

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Okay I know you guys are going to say search, but there are so many threads that cover this topic it would take forever, and 95% of the info would be redundant, very redundant. So I am going to just ask these questions.

1) When doing the swap I know that at least one of the "comfort features" is lost. That one being Cruise Control, are there any other features that are lost? What are they, can they all(+CC) be remedied?

2) For those of you who have done this at home what was the best way to remove the Autotragic. The way I heard was to remove the tranny mount, and then the firewall and bumper side motor mounts(of course supporting the engine first). Then use a floor jack to lift the car using the last mount as a hinge. Does that sound right or does that sound like a bad idea?

3) What part of the wiring harness do I need, or is it the entire thing?

KTHX -Alan

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
i know for number two just use two jacks, one to support the engine and under the tranny. jack the car up before you start and put it on jackstands, that way you can use the jack under the tranny to lower in after you unbolt everything.
ps it will want to fall of of the jack so be carefull

finch13

Reaction score
1) You can have CC, I do. I don't know if anything has to be swapped over from a 5spd, but the system is probably the same regardless of transmission.

2) I don't think the rear mount needs to be removed, I took off the front and tranny mounts for sure. I jacked the car up as high as it would go, then slowly let the engine drop until the tranny bell housing cleared the frame. After that it's pretty much just getting the tranny and engine separated.

3) I dunno about the harness. There is a backup light switch and the VSS on the tranny to worry about, both come out of the harness where the primary O2 sensor is.

finch13

Reaction score
It's possible with two regular jack's, I did it. The hardest part is getting the tranny mainshaft to slide into the clutch and and crank nicely.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
more questions since I have never seen a 5spd around here I cant use one for reference.

4) is the clutch master cylinder under the dash or in the bay? If it is in the bay how does it clear the brake booster? Would I need a booster from a 5spd too?

5) My frame rail seems to be the way of the tranny rotating down without a fight, Finch did you have trouble with that or was it just a bad angle that I saw it at?

THX for all the help guys hopefully there will be another 5spd swaped by the summer. :thumbup:

Last edited:

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
CMC is in the bay beside the brake booster, behind the wheel well.

CHID0

Reaction score
1. You'll need other components for to have a working cruise....I believe. I haven't tried to use cruise after I swapped.

2. What Finch said, if you don't have a tranny jack of course (I didn't). After you separate the tranny from the motor and clear the important stuff who really cares if it falls off the jack? Just make sure no body part is under it if it does.

3. Get pigtails off the manual harness for the vss and reverse and you'll be good.

4. You need tiny hands and skills at tetris to get the Clutch Master Cylinder in the little cranny it calls home, be patient and don't get frustrated.

5. You need to remove the subframe to get the auto tranny out.

SeanXtec

Reaction score
1. Just make sure no body part is under it if it does.

Lol, if you find you want to use the transmission jack, just go to your local tool renting center and it shouldn't cost more than twenty or thirty bucks for the day.

Back