99 4-way flasher powers up the ignition

floating doc

Reaction score
Really strange problem and searching got me nowhere. Some background:

Like many of the 6th generation Accords with the non-climate controlled ac, my switch panel for the AC quit working. I tried 3 local you-pull it yards, then ordered one from the high-end recycler (who never came through; that's another story).

So, on to eBay. On eBay, the switches come as part of the radio surround panel, including the center AC vents, clock, emergency-4 way flasher switch, and all of the HVAC controls. Easy install, and I've got AC again! No small thing in central Florida in July, especially with a dark green coup.

One really bizarre thing though: the 4 way flasher provides power to the ignition. If I turn it on, the instrument lights plus all of the emergency and indicator lights come on.

If the car is running, just the instrument lights come on, and then I can switch the key off and the engine keeps running.

Tomorrow I'll try swapping out the switches between the two panels, but in the meantime: is this something that anyone else has seen or hear of?

Bax

Reaction score
Are you using the same year model hazard switch as your car? I didn't know it would do all that, but I do know they are different between 98-00 and 01 02.

floating doc

Reaction score
I'll try to swap the two switch assemblies. I got the original one to pop out of the panel. The clock and hazard switch are an assembly, and they just pop forward out of the panel.

Then I tried to remove the assembly from the replacement panel. I couldn't get the plug loose from the hazard switch. I had to leave for work, so I'll try tomorrow when I have more time.

BTW, no directional signals either. Luckily, I have brake lights. Good thing that most of my commute today was highway.

I'll follow up after I get the switch swapped over (assuming I don't bugger up the plugs or wiring).:skurred:

floating doc

Reaction score
Changed out the switches. Everything works normally now.

What's weird is that the two panels look identical. The emergency flasher/clock assembly isn't exactly the same. I had to trim off some small tabs from the sides of the switch assembly to get them to fit into the space. It's also shorter and curved very slightly differently than the switch that was in the previous panel, so now there's a small gap at the bottom.

I don't see any possibility of there being a functional difference. It looks exactly the same. Why they would redesign that panel and create a new set of molds to manufacture it, while making it look exactly the same is beyond me.

floating doc

Reaction score
Well, here's an interesting update. I don't have any dash lights. I'll check out the fuse tomorrow, but I suspect that won't be the problem.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
dont bother checking the fuses. if you plugged in the wrong switch and pushed the button youve fried the multiplexor

floating doc

Reaction score
ok, tell me more. I know what a multiplexor is in principle, but don't know where to find this specific one.

My Haynes manual shows the dimming circuit with a drivers multiplex control unit in the circuit.

Last edited:
Back