ABS system problem*****

slowrider87

Reaction score
i have the same issue, i plugged it in a an ABS code popped up. the light may not be on all the time but when you first start the car the ABS light will blink and stay on longer than the others while the ECU is doing it's automatic start up systems check. i got a code "53-01-Antilock Brake System pump motor relay short circuit"

There is actually a TSB out on our ABS pumps. they have a tendancy to short out if the wiring harness gets dirty. now the reason it doesn't set a permanant code is because by it shorting it's causing the pump to be on all the time. you just don't really notice it as much until the lower speed braking.

AllData said:
SOURCE:
Honda Service News February 2004
TITLE:
Clean Modulator Pump Motor Ground for DTC 51/53
APPLIES TO:
1998-04 Accords, 2001-04 Civics, 2003-04 Civic Hybrids, 2002-04 CR-Vs, 2003-04 Elements, 2001-04 Insights, 1999-04 Odysseys, 2003-04 Pilots, 2000-04 S2000
SERVICE TIP:
Got an ABS DTC 51 (motor lock) or an ABS DTC 53 (motor stuck ON)? Although the S/M tells you to replace the ABS modulator unit if, during your test-drive, the ABS indicator comes back on and the DTC sets, don't replace the unit just yet. First try inspecting and cleaning the pump motor ground. A poor ground can also cause these DTCs to set.

Cleaning it didn't help me at all but i stop just fine and i don't drive crazy so i'm not too worried about it. Hope this helps...

p.s. AutoZones code readers didn't pull the ABS code for me. used a snap-on at school.

4door accord02

Reaction score
weird?? so today i decided to take off my front wheels and apply anitbrake sqeal to get rid of annoying squeal.at the same time i decided to take a look at my wheel senosors to see if they were any damage.so i tapped on one of them w the hammer and put everything back together.took it for a test drive and no more annoying abs problem or brake sqealing....

Last edited:
Back