adjusting doors

ShortyR6

Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust the rear pass door on a 98 sedan.

I can hear wind noise while driving on the interstate. I did the dollar bill between the door and it slides out with minimum resistance. I already shin etsued the seals, but it did not help any.

I would imagine you could adjust the striker plate in a little bit to take out that small amount that lets the air in.

ShortyR6

Reaction score
tried taking a impact driver to the screws on the striker plate; they are on there pretty good. I could not get them to budge. I may try to spray some penetrating oil in there over the course of a few days to see if that helps break them loose.

jdmcg3

Reaction score
after reading your first post.. i wouldnt know where to begin to try and help you.. it sounds like one of things i would need to be there and look at it for myself.

maybe take some pics of the problem area. and post em up. someone might be able to help you then.

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
i have same issue but have just ignored it cause all my door gaps are were they need to be(as well as flush with fender and quarter) good luck

o and wind noisess are very difficult to diagnose by hearing it
try the smoke meathod

ShortyR6

Reaction score
door gaps are all fine. the car has never seen damage or paint. my issues is some wind noise making it past the seal on the rear pass door. I did not know if the striker plate could be adjusted in a little to help seal it better.

I know where its coming from; i can hear it. i had it verified by my 15 yr old (if you have a teenager, you already know they know everything). I also ran a dollar bill on different parts to verify a good seal and i know where it just slides right out. i thought about putting some double sided tape or something under the seal to build it up to seal better. i guess will will just have to play with it a little.

at this point, i am going to purchase a door seal. i just hate to blow money if i know its not the root of the problem. ya know?

Last edited:

blackcord

Reaction score
door gaps are all fine. the car has never seen damage or paint. my issues is some wind noise making it past the seal on the rear pass door. I did not know if the striker plate could be adjusted in a little to help seal it better.

I know where its coming from; i can hear it. i had it verified by my 15 yr old (if you have a teenager, you already know they know everything). I also ran a dollar bill on different parts to verify a good seal and i know where it just slides right out. i thought about putting some double sided tape or something under the seal to build it up to seal better. i guess will will just have to play with it a little.

at this point, i am going to purchase a door seal. i just hate to blow money if i know its not the root of the problem. ya know?

Ok, this is gonna sound ghetto, but since you are at the point of wanting to buy a new door seal, then here goes. I know that rust proofing oil on rubber may cause the rubber to swell (probably the same with a little motor oil). Maybe you wanna try rubbing a little oil where the leak is. I am not saying soak it but just a bit only on the particular area for a few days. Worth a try?? If that works, then I would clean off the excess and then rub down with silicone lube to protect. Yeah ghetto I know :lolhitting:

ShortyR6

Reaction score
Ok, this is gonna sound ghetto, but since you are at the point of wanting to buy a new door seal, then here goes. I know that rust proofing oil on rubber may cause the rubber to swell (probably the same with a little motor oil). Maybe you wanna try rubbing a little oil where the leak is. I am not saying soak it but just a bit only on the particular area for a few days. Worth a try?? If that works, then I would clean off the excess and then rub down with silicone lube to protect. Yeah ghetto I know :lolhitting:

I got the shin estu grease from honda and did all the door seals. i was hoping that would have the same effect of what you are speaking about. unfortunately it didnt.

if i were able to get the striker plate loose i could see if there is any lateral adjustment, but those screws are on there so good that a impact driver would not knock them loose. i could use a torch to heat them, but i am not wanting to damage the paint in that area.

Back