amp going into protect mode. Help!

Shwayzar

Reaction score
ok i've never had this problem before in the numerous systems i've hooked up. so hers the problems. Its a 01 chevy single cab and he previously had a system but it didnt work. i reran all the wiring with brand new wires and the amp will go in to protect mode after i turn up the radio volume or really when i turn anything (radio valume, gain on the amp, eq settings on the radio, etc) up to a certain point. like i said i have no idea what could be causing it. any suggestions.
btw new amp radio and amp wiring.
thanks in advance

BkzTafetta

Reaction score
how many subs does he have?? if he has multiple subs...it could be that one of them is misfiring....i had this same prob and after rewiring everything it came out being a stupid woofer...disconnected the damaged woofer and amp didnt go to protect anymore...the damaged woofer would still play but would back fire after it reached it limit...you would have to test the speakers individually

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
ok i've never had this problem before in the numerous systems i've hooked up. so hers the problems. Its a 01 chevy single cab and he previously had a system but it didnt work. i reran all the wiring with brand new wires and the amp will go in to protect mode after i turn up the radio volume or really when i turn anything (radio valume, gain on the amp, eq settings on the radio, etc) up to a certain point. like i said i have no idea what could be causing it. any suggestions.
btw new amp radio and amp wiring.
thanks in advance

what type of amp? wattage? etc... it could be that your amp isn't capable of pushing to the volume you are attempting. Protect mode is just that... a protection against something harmful. Whether it be shortages, bad grounds, whatever.... I would seriously consider the fact that it is electrical and not related to the subs.

blackcord

Reaction score
Yeah. Like the others said, could be the final impedance. Would help if you could let us know how many subs, impedance of each sub and how it is wires (i.e. parallel, series).

Shwayzar

Reaction score
1 cvr 12 wired to 4ohm impeadence a 300 watt rms @4ohm kicker amp i redid the ground a couple of times,I even sanded down the paint too so its on bare metal. I know its in the wiring some where cuz his old amp did the same thing. I didnt rewire the sub though. I should probably try that but i did test it in my car and it worked just fine and i could turn it up as loud as i wanted and it never put my amp in protect mode. also when it goes into protect mode ill turn down the radio turn off the truck and turn it back on and it works just fine until i turn it back up past a certain point.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
1 cvr 12 wired to 4ohm impeadence a 300 watt rms @4ohm kicker amp i redid the ground a couple of times,I even sanded down the paint too so its on bare metal. I know its in the wiring some where cuz his old amp did the same thing. I didnt rewire the sub though. I should probably try that but i did test it in my car and it worked just fine and i could turn it up as loud as i wanted and it never put my amp in protect mode. also when it goes into protect mode ill turn down the radio turn off the truck and turn it back on and it works just fine until i turn it back up past a certain point.

sounds like the amp is toast. Try a new amp and see what happens.

J30MAN

Reaction score
i had the same problem with my 12" Kicker L7 on a Kicker KX600.1. on low freq. it would cut out until i turned it down or until it would go to a higher freq. i would highly recommend checking out your grounds. i rewired my whole amp system and now i have no problems.

Rainman215

Reaction score
What does the fuse look like on the power wire(The fuse and fuseholder) ? Is it in perfect condition? Which amp and sub do you have exactly?

Shwayzar

Reaction score
so its taken me so long to get back on here. but yeah all the wiring fuseholder fuse and all is brand new new amp and old school kicker cvr12. i figured out the problem and it was the sub it was the wrong impeadence it said i was a 2ohm sub on the back of it so i had it wired at 4ohm for the amp it was hooked up to but i took to my friends dad who is an electronic wizz and he tested it and everything and te sub turn out to be a 4ohm sub and was actually wired at 2ohm. wierdest thing ive ever messed with!

Back