Auto gear stick/knob mod

snydas1987

Reaction score
Hey guys, so Iv been wondering if there is a way that I can set up my auto gear knob/shifter so that the button doesn't need to be pushed in to change through the shift patterns-ie. Park to reverse to neutral, etc.
that way being able to run manual type shift knob and also be able to drive the car manually shifting up n down more comfortable and easier.
Any ideas or parts anyone knows of would be appreciated.
Thanks

james'99

Reaction score
I don't think it is wise. You can get any shift knob that is held down by an allen screw or something that doesn't have a button that just presses the button down all the time but if by accident you shift to reverse while driving, things will get ugly.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Prelude shfter, 4-cyl/5-spd boot, then I tapped a pool ball to M14, so it should fit a standard manual knob.

Car is the V6 auto.

11080665_10100718724976899_3008335401510346244_o.jpg

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yeah, that's a terrible idea just because you could accidentally put it into reverse. if you shift it through the gears manually, you already don't need to press the button in order to go up a gear. don't expect that to help with the life of the trans though :lawl:

snydas1987

Reaction score
you need to press the button in to go between 1st n 2nd gear n into 3rd gear but between 3rd n 4th n neautral gear you dont need to press the button in at all. Also neautral is in-between 4th and reverse so i dont see how i could do that tho its a good point just in case.
So if i put a manual gear nob on my auto stick will that actually hold the button parts in all the time? Other than that i dont really understand how that could work.
I only really shift manually going down gears to.
Thanks, anymore info on running the manual knob and how that stops the button being needed would be good.
cheers

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
ah, alright. it's been a while since i've had an auto 6g haha. i had a razo knob on mine, it worked by just pushing the whole knob down then you could switch the gears and stuff. i drove a little spiritedly a few times manually shifting through the gears, i don't remember having to press the knob down ever going from 1-2-d3-d4, but that was also back in 2006 so my memory could be wrong haha.

james'99

Reaction score
Prelude shfter, 4-cyl/5-spd boot, then I tapped a pool ball to M14, so it should fit a standard manual knob.

Car is the V6 auto.

11080665_10100718724976899_3008335401510346244_o.jpg

If you are gonna go forward with this, the prelude shifter is the way to go. You can leave it in the triptronic position just in case. Realistically, no one ever bumps their car into other gears. That said, if you try to go to neutral and aren't careful, on your particular shifter, you could end up in reverse.

snydas1987

Reaction score
It's only 1st n 2nd that need the button to go between 3rd n 4th can jus be shifted between with out push in the button in. Cheers guys.
So with the prelude shifter conversion it's the whole auto shifter system? Is it just a straight swap or do you need to change computers or anything custom like? Sounds like a cool mod, especially if it has the tiptronic style shifting as part of the shift pattern. Maybe you know of a link to this mod?
Cheers

james'99

Reaction score
Some one probably has a link. For the most part, its a straight swap except you do lose the interlock if you decide not to rewire. The car would be able to be shifted to any gear while off and without pressing the brake.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I didn't mess with the tiptronic stuff, I just use that for drive, to prevent accidents.

No computer change, just the shifter assembly.

I still get 1st & 2nd for auto-x.

Back