Bad strut mount?

truWarier02

Reaction score
As for the endlinks, grab them and try to move them/shake them with force. If no clunk when doing so then they're still ok.

Checked today and endlinks seem solid but I tried pulling on the bar a bit and I did notice a slight clunk but I couldn't reproduce that sound again afterwards.

I Googled this clunking noise and it appears that for various cars experiencing rear clunks, the majority have reported the bushings as the culprit. I'm still on all original RSB components (150k miles).

I'm gonna get some new bushings and I might as well replace the brackets and bolts while I'm at it.

2vl1yjn.jpg

001Stunna

Reaction score
Checked today and endlinks seem solid but I tried pulling on the bar a bit and I did notice a slight clunk but I couldn't reproduce that sound again afterwards.

I Googled this clunking noise and it appears that for various cars experiencing rear clunks, the majority have reported the bushings as the culprit. I'm still on all original RSB components (150k miles).

I'm gonna get some new bushings and I might as well replace the brackets and bolts while I'm at it.

2vl1yjn.jpg

Brackets don't really break unless they're rusted to hell and snapped so you probably don't need to spend $$ on those. As for bolts I broke two of mine due to rusted/corroded heads.

When you get the new bushings, before installing them, wrap the area on the bar where the bushing goes with some teflon tape creating about 2-3mm thickness, grease the inside of the bushing and the top of the teflon tape and then install the bushing over the tape and tighten the bracket bolts on it. Reason for doing so would be to create a tight snug grab and to avoid any possible squeaks in the future.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Davis, the rubber thing is this http://www.tein.com/products/silencer_rubber.html
silencer_rubber_products.jpg

It's used so when the spring contacts itself the rubber will absorb the impact/hence no sound for you to hear..if that's what it is.

After replacing the RSB bushings, the clunking still exists. It is so annoying and it's seemingly coming from the rear deck area. I highly doubt my coilovers are blown because both side began clunking at the same time. It'll happen even from a small crack on the road. The clunking sort of sounds as if the spring is a bit loose and hitting the top mount or maybe the coils are binding. I'll give these spring rubber silencers a try, considering how cheap they are.

When I push down on the trunk or jump on the rear door sills, I can't replicate the noise. It's dead quiet.

Below is turbo_911's car. I'm not sure if he ever figured out the cause. The sound and the rapidness of the clunks are very similar to mine.

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/turboboxer/media/MOV05699.mp4.html

Back