Battery finally done??

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
I think my battery has started to reach the end. Today I had to get it jump started, and once or twice last week it did not want to start quick. Granted I did only drive my car maybe twice last week for a total of 5 miles or so.

ANYWHO...I have a Optima Yellowtop that was purchased over 6 years ago. I can not honestly remember when I got it but I am guessing it has been around 7 years. Which is probably an amazing lifetime for an Optima??? I have not paid much attention to it or any batteries since I got this. So would there be a better replacement? I have a system but I do not blast it much, and my car probably is driven maybe 2-3 times a week for maybe 20 miles. Would the Redtop be a better choice for me?

finch13

Reaction score
I would first check to see if you have a parasitic draw on the battery before buying a new one.

Make sure battery voltage is 12-12.5V engine off, and 14-15V engine on (charging). Wouldn't hurt to have a load test done on the battery as well (once it's fully charged).

DO NOT tell any shop the battery is over 5 years old, they'll want to replace it no matter what.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
I will have to try that out. Hopefully my car starts when I finish mtn biking today since the trailhead is kinda far away

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
My Honda battery lasted 5 years. Now I have a red top. Sounds like your battery is dead. Good luck Eric!

CHID0

Reaction score
On saturday, coincidentally, my boy's Yellow Top died in his 6th gen after 6 years too :thinking: ran strong until the end. I say go with another yellowtop for another 6 years

finch13

Reaction score
6 years is ridiculous for a battery that's advertised to outperform every single battery. AC Delco batteries tend to last 10+ years... we just replaced the one in our 99 Buick Century, factory battery.

Sent from my Nexus One

swollen_cu

Reaction score
MY optima yellow top only lasted me 1 year 8 months... I just replaced it the other day.. but it had a 3 year warranty, so I got it for free! :roy:

Maybe I bump my sound system too much? 1500 rms worth of sound on stock electricals?:(

tnguyen600

Reaction score
6 years is ridiculous for a battery that's advertised to outperform every single battery. AC Delco batteries tend to last 10+ years... we just replaced the one in our 99 Buick Century, factory battery.

Sent from my Nexus One

double true. I have a red top and now I'm hoping it'll last.

Back