"Big Three / Grounding Kit" - Improving your electrical grounds

xmsleepr

Reaction score
I decided to do mines yesterday since I put my system in and all the lights in my dash would go out pretty much when the bass dropped...

-I used "made in USA #2" wire...it was thrown in when i had bought a previous amp and sub from craigslist, the wire is very stiff hard to work with but holds its shape with a little convincing
-battery terminal i had from a previous vehicle
-O-ring terminals i went to my local audio installer sold em to me for $2 each

side by side comparison
a221f446.jpg

loomed up
c95989e2.jpg

Terminals (clamped with table vise)
a01c123c.jpg

ef94233c.jpg

Final Product
f2220b39.jpg

chassis ground
bb61703e.jpg

Transmission Ground
131e4360.jpg

Dusty engine bay shot (all original NE rust :) )
3a23f1a0.jpg

I plan on doing the driver side ground also but havent decided if i want to use this wire or buy a cool grounding strap yet

in conclusion my dash lights stay on when bass hits just my clock and brake light dim now :)

Bond4387

Reaction score
I just did the grounding kit, and noticed nothing different at all. If anything, I unlocked my doors via the power switch, and I felt the engine like it was under stress. :( Did everything exactly as the DIY suggested, sanded down all contact points, tightened the crap out of all bolts and screws. I don't get what I missed?:sad: :furious:

ShutOutTheSky

Reaction score
Doing this now... 1/0 gauge Rockford Fostage with gold plated ring terminals. Kinda sorta maybe regret cutting the stock battery (-) to chassis ground. Then I remembered I'm driving this car into the ground anyway.

155t1z6.jpg

Battery (-) to chassis ground.

2me1lj6.jpg

Block to chassis ground.

Waiting on more $ to do battery (+) to alternator with a fuse in-line.

Last edited:

all.i.see

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of a v6 with the big three upgrade instead of all the 4cyl pic? I can pretty much figure out what im upgrading and where im putting all the wire upgrades but picture would be very helpful and greatly appreciated if there are any so i don't feel like im going into tho upgrade blindly. Thanks

Back