Black interior paint

ccordex00

Reaction score
Ok...so I've been looking around for black oem pieces for our cars but so far there are no pieces available.
After reading blaque accord write about painting the black interior trim I decided to do some reseach about the whole process. He just cleaned the pieces with soap and water then clean them again with rubbing alcohol then using spray paint to change the color.
I went to my local ACE store and got the following items
Krylon SATIN black plastic fusion paint
Krylon satin grey primer
Krylon SATIN clear coat
Alcohol

I took my spare steering column cover (only the top part) and washed it with warm water and dish soap, dry it and clean it with alcohol then followed this sequence
2-coats of primer
2-coats of black paint
2-light coats of SATIN clear coat
1-light coat of black paint.

The results were pretty decent but most important the piece survived my scratch test:
I try to take out the paint with CLOROX-GOO GONE-ALCOHOL-PAINT THINNER and nothing...
I just wanted to share these pictures and get some opinion to my future black interior
HPIM4826.jpg

HPIM4828.jpg

HPIM4827.jpg

HPIM4829.jpg

Cpyro

Reaction score
Looks cool, id like to see how it all comes out

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
it looks good. for bigger peices i think u should wrap em in vinyl, unless u have a lot of confidence in painting bigger peices.

ccordex00

Reaction score
but vinyl would be more expensive and you'll loose that oem texture. For door sills i wouldn't recommend vinyl.

ccordex00

Reaction score
That's why I tried clorox, paint thinner and rub the piece. Most of the pieces (center console, under dash covers, door panels and trim) aren't exposed too much to direct sunlight or touch..door sills are more exposed to scratching and the dashboard to direct sunlight.
Im thinking about going two tone with my interior but I'm having second thoughts about painting the seatbelt plastic trims (next to the seats)

Back