Brake lights always on after connecting a spoiler.

james'99

Reaction score
Well, the multiplexer that has a lot to do with everything is part of that fuse box. Something is drawing too much power somewhere. I'd remove the bar in the spoiler, run fresh wire and see where it gets you after possibly replacing that multiplexer again.

6thgenius

Reaction score
Well, the multiplexer that has a lot to do with everything is part of that fuse box. Something is drawing too much power somewhere. I'd remove the bar in the spoiler, run fresh wire and see where it gets you after possibly replacing that multiplexer again.

Thanks for the reply James! Do you think it could possibly be the stereo? It's just hard to believe that the spoiler can draw a lot of power. But I'll remove the bar like you said.

james'99

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply James! Do you think it could possibly be the stereo? It's just hard to believe that the spoiler can draw a lot of power. But I'll remove the bar like you said.

I don't think the spoiler draws much at all,probably less than the original third brake light. But if there's a short, well that opens a new set of problems.

6thgenius

Reaction score
They ended up fixing the spoiler at the dealership, the wiring should be good.

One more thing I thought about... My brake lights were fine, while my stereo wasn't working. So basically I blown the MCU right after I fixed the stereo.

Here's what I found on another forum:

I have a 1999 and aftermarket deck. Is the mulitplexor replaced yet? I would wait to do that job until you do more research. When the new deck was installed, the auto dim/illumination wire may have been connected to the orange wire in the harness. For some reason, 98-02 Accords don't do the auto dim thing (when you turn on your headlights, the deck dims a little bit) and will cause lighting issues. When I installed my deck, I connected that wire and had a ton of issues with interior lights and brake lights not working.

I don't think it's a multiplexor issue at all, but then again, if it's fixed you could try reinstalling the deck without attaching the orange/white illumination wire.

I disconnected the orange/white wire. And I'll have a new multiplexor tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes

james'99

Reaction score
They ended up fixing the spoiler at the dealership, the wiring should be good.

One more thing I thought about... My brake lights were fine, while my stereo wasn't working. So basically I blown the MCU right after I fixed the stereo.

Here's what I found on another forum:

I disconnected the orange/white wire. And I'll have a new multiplexor tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes

What brand head unit do you have?

james'99

Reaction score
What brand head unit do you have?

The radio had a orange/white wire, right?

Whatever it is on the car side, its the opposite on the radio side. JVCs harnesses are off. There are two wires because one is a signal that the lights are on. The other is the dimmer.

Replace the multiplexer. Connect the orange/white wire toe the orange wire on the car and everything will work properly.

I haven't really dug into the reasoning too much but I have to do this everytime I install a JVC head unit in a Honda for someone.

6thgenius

Reaction score
James'99 orange/white and orange were connected before, that's why disconnected them.
Ok, they gave me the wrong part. Quick question... Are multiplexors on sedans, coupes, LX, EX the same.

Back