Brake lights not working

chino581991

Reaction score
So yesterday, my friend was following and pointed out that my all but my third brake lights were working (the one on the rear windshield).

I've searched through the forums and figured a bad fuse, ground point, or stop lamp failure sensor were bad.

I swapped the fuse just in case but it wasn't that. I figured it wasn't the bulb because the running lights still worked and it'd be off that all 4 brake lights went out.

I know it's not the brake switch because I'm still able to shift into gear.

So all I'm left with is the sensor and ground. Do you Gus recommend checking anything else? And where is the ground and the sensor located at?

EDIT: I have a 2000 accord coupe ex-l

Last edited:

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Because the running lights work doesn't mean the bulbs bad. The brake bulbs are dual filament so the brake like part could be blown

chino581991

Reaction score
Because the running lights work doesn't mean the bulbs bad. The brake bulbs are dual filament so the brake like part could be blown

But wouldn't it be odd that 4 went out at the same time? Also wouldn't my brake warning light on my dash go on as well? (Warming brake lamp under gas levels) last time one of my brake lamps went out (one of the filaments) the warning light came on

chino581991

Reaction score
You say your lights work, your third doesnt?

Sorry if i worded it weird, but out of all the brake lights, only the third one works on the rear windshield. Since I have a coupe, basically the brake lights on the trunk strip don't light up

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
S824B0900C.png

Part #24 on the diagram, that is the brake fail sensor.
OEM Part #37540-S82-A01.

f23accord2000

Reaction score
^yupp that is the problem i had the same issue bought a new one from dealer it was 25 bucks located on the driver side.i noticed it failed after i bought my red clear taillights there was water on the sensor so i replaced the gasket around the tail light and put a plastic bag around it and closed it all up been fine for 5 yrs now

Last edited:
Back