Brake lights not working

igrindnonstop

Reaction score
Hey 6GA, i have a problem i need some help with. I recently got hit on my rear bumper and had my tail light broken. I had a mechanic change out my driver side outer tail out. Ever since that work, my dash has a light that says brake lamp light. the b rake lights still dont work even though my daytime running lights work. so my taillights glow, but they dont get brighter when i hit the brakes. I was told by the mechanic that its a fuze but i doubt its a fuze when the taillights work, just not the brake lights....Someone please help me!!! i dont know what to do. any suggestion help.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Have you checked the bulbs to make sure the bright lead is still good? Also check the brake light position switch.

igrindnonstop

Reaction score
Have you checked the bulbs to make sure the bright lead is still good? Also check the brake light position switch.

I haven't checked either . how do i check if the bright lead is good? I will check the brake light switch as well. Which fuzes are the brake light fuzes? I want to double check everything.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Exchange the bulbs with your passenger side and see if they get brighter when you hit the brake pedal, or hold the bulbs up to a lamp and look at the filaments.

As for the fuses, they are identified in your owners manual, a Haynes manual, or you can look at the fuse covers(driver/passenger door jamb, under the hood), they are labeled.

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the problem just the driverside brake lamp or is it your complete taillight that is having this problem? My suggestion would be to check and see if the mechanic swapped over the stop lamp sensor that goes behind the driver side brake lamp assembly and check to see if that is plugged in.

S843B0900B.png

Part #20.

Last edited:

igrindnonstop

Reaction score
Exchange the bulbs with your passenger side and see if they get brighter when you hit the brake pedal, or hold the bulbs up to a lamp and look at the filaments.

As for the fuses, they are identified in your owners manual, a Haynes manual, or you can look at the fuse covers(driver/passenger door jamb, under the hood), they are labeled.

RedRyder- I will switch out the light bulbs from the other side but the problem is all the brake lights are out. hopefully just the lights are burnt. But its pretty wierd to have all my brake outs burn out at once?? I'll look up the fuzes in my manual and see if that is the problem. Thank you for your advise RedRyder.

igrindnonstop

Reaction score
Is the problem just the driverside brake lamp or is it your complete taillight that is having this problem? My suggestion would be to check and see if the mechanic swapped over the stop lamp sensor that goes behind the driver side brake lamp assembly and check to see if that is plugged in.

Jephu- All my brake lights are burnt, I will check to make sure the mechanic swapped over the brake lamp assembly and if it is plugged in. im hoping its just a fuze or the bulbs. Thank you for your help. I will PM you when im ready to order the LED lights. Thanks again guys...

I will be checking everything on saturday so i will update if im still having issues or i figure out whats going on .

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
RedRyder- I will switch out the light bulbs from the other side but the problem is all the brake lights are out. hopefully just the lights are burnt. But its pretty wierd to have all my brake outs burn out at once?? I'll look up the fuzes in my manual and see if that is the problem. Thank you for your advise RedRyder.

Oh k it sounded like you only got hit on one side, and that side’s brake lights were out. If it’s both I agree it’s unlikely all the bulbs went out at once. Check the position switch like I mentioned, and since he was messing with wiring back there, check your grounds, etc.

Were both light housings replaced then?

VancouverAccord

Reaction score
I also agree that it is unlikely that all bulbs went at the same time. Is your third brake light also not working? I'm pretty sure that the third brake light on our accords is run through a separate circuit so I doubt its the fuses. Check the brake switch

I had one go bad on my car causing the brake lights to intermittently work and my cruise control also stopped working.

igrindnonstop

Reaction score
Oh k it sounded like you only got hit on one side, and that side’s brake lights were out. If it’s both I agree it’s unlikely all the bulbs went out at once. Check the position switch like I mentioned, and since he was messing with wiring back there, check your grounds, etc.

Were both light housings replaced then?

yes, i was only hit my on driver side, the driver side tail light was broken. Both brake lights are out. I will check my third brake light as well. But i will start by checking the position switch and the wiring to see if anything is unplugged. Thanks a bunch RedRyder.

Back