Car accident question..

MAR387

Reaction score
Hey guys, here's situation:

I have made several posts in regards to my SRS light being on (It's been on for about 2-3 months and the car is a 2001 Accord). I have come to the conclusion that it might just be best to bring it to Honda to have them check it out. They charge a $49.99 diagnostic fee, but if it is SRS related item that is covered under the system's lifetime warranty, I was informed that they drop the diagnostic fee charge.

Well the thing is, about 3 years ago I was in an accident. I rear ended some lady who decided to slam on her brakes to make a left turn, with no prior indication of the turn; I hit her at about 25-30MPH. The hood, bumper, radiator, and a few other items needed to be replaced. The airbags did not deploy nor was there any SRS light that came on at the time, or anything that needed to be replaced for the SRS system.

So with that said, I don't think that this accident is the cause behind the SRS light, given the amount of time that has elapsed since then. I have called several Honda dealerships about the SRS light being on. One of the dealerships said that about 80% of the time it is the seat buckle and is obviously covered. The other one said the same thing but they wouldn't replace it if I was in an accident or something.

My question is, if I bring it into the dealership am I absolutely obligated, lawfully, to tell them that I was in an accident? Possibly a stupid question, but is it possible for them to find out about this accident that occurred in March 2007? I know there is a way to reset the SRS light, but I rather just spend the lousy $50 (At most hopefully), and have them take care of it since I have inspection next month also and rather not have to worry about it and play around with crap.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your time all.

Mike

eggs

Reaction score
i had my SRS light come on and when i called the dealer they said that the car was covered under warranty and it didnt cost me anything so idk why they are saying that they are going to charge you try calling a different dealer and see what they say

and if there is no accident on record than you dont have to tell them

MAR387

Reaction score
I live in NJ where they tax and charge you for everything. I'm surprised that they haven't started charging for oxygen. The accident was filed through the insurance company. Blk, whatchu talking about maign?

eggs

Reaction score
i just played dumb with the dealer and was like there is this srs light on in my car and i dont know what it means and my mechanic told me to call you so they can find out whats wrong

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well the dealership may ask you, in which case, lie about it since I highly doubt its related being the accident happened years ago. It's not like they're gonna run a carfax on it before hand.

eggs

Reaction score
Well the dealership may ask you, in which case, lie about it since I highly doubt its related being the accident happened years ago. It's not like they're gonna run a carfax on it before hand.

i agree with you i thought u said i was lying im like Wtf

MAR387

Reaction score
Thanks Blk and egg. so youre fairly positive they can't run a carfax or anything on a car brought in for service? Maybe Drift can chime in :D.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure they could, but why bother?

Even if they did find out that it was in an accident, I would think that they would still have to prove that the accident caused some malfunction of the system which if it didn't during the accident or immediately afterward, it shouldn't now.

yea egg...you lying?!

Last edited:
Back